Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I've got an 80 but no handbook, so some dumb questions...

I fully agree - the KM2s are not too noisy (especially in a 80 with better soundproofing than a 70 series). They are a stunning tyre on rocks, sand, mud and tracks. I cannot really judge performance on asphalt - fine for me, but then I stay maximum 110km/h and slow down for corners. I have to at 2.5m high and 3 and a half tons heavy!
The General AT2s are okay, but for a very heavy rig on stoney tracks (maybe Morocco, which you mentioned?) they are not really up to it.
As it is tyres the usual caveat applies - all just IMHO :D

Andrew Prince said:
What about BFG KM2? £144 ea here for 285/75 or £137 for 255/85?

255 KM2s would be my first choice if I was buying today.

The Grabber AT2s are definitely a good tyre but they're all terrains so will not be as good in the sticky stuff as MTs. Yes, MTs are noisier on-road but the KM2s are reputedly not too bad - the tread pattern was specifically designed to reduce road noise.

I t depends what you want to do with your LC - if it's the school run and weekends away, then go for road tyres or ATs to give a quieter, more comfortable ride. If you're laning or off-roading too, then you might want a bit more off-road bias. :idea:

quattro said:
Rob said:
You can get larger 285/75r16 tyres for about the same price and they will fit the 80 without a lift with no problems. Seems to be the most popular tyre size for an 80 on this forum as it doesn't effect the gearing much and gives a little more ground clearance.

The speedo is already way out for some reason on mine, it's about 10% out. If I fit the larger tyres will it make it even more out or will the speedo be slightly more accurate? I would have thought more accurate as per rotation you'll be covering more ground therefore road speed will increase and this would mean it's closer to the indicated speed?

Hi Quattro
I have the 285 Grabber ST2s on mine and the speedo is damn near accurate (tested with the lazer gun borrowed from our office one weekend)

Andrew Prince said:
It depends what you want to do with your LC - if it's the school run and weekends away, then go for road tyres or ATs to give a quieter, more comfortable ride. If you're laning or off-roading too, then you might want a bit more off-road bias. :idea:

I'm using it day to day at the moment as I've only just got it as I want to iron out and discover any problems before I take it to Morocco.

I like going offroading on pay and play days, greenlaning, plus once I get back from Morocco I intend to keep it and use it time to time and then hopefully take it on a year long adventure around most of the world, but this won't happen for 2 years.

I'd be happier having a slightly louder cabin if it means that when I do take it down some lane it doesn't get stuck.
I managed to get it stuck yesterday, no deep mud just a slick smooth surface on an incline, just wouldn't go up nor would it go back the way it came. Did manage to free it by accepting a winch of my friend with erm.... a Discovery.... :oops:

quattro said:
Did manage to free it by accepting a winch of my friend with erm.... a Discovery.... :oops:

I don't know, in the club less than a day and banned already :lol:

Ian

Ian Rubie said:
quattro said:
Did manage to free it by accepting a winch of my friend with erm.... a Discovery.... :oops:

I don't know, in the club less than a day and banned already :lol:

Ian

I know... But the 80 only stopped going due to my stupidity, I shouldn't have tried to get up that hill. Where as when my friends Discovery stops going it's usually because yet another fundamental part of the vehicle has fallen off.

quattro said:
I know... But the 80 only stopped going due to my stupidity, I shouldn't have tried to get up that hill. Where as when my friends Discovery stops going it's usually because yet another fundamental part of the vehicle has fallen off.

OK, you're back in the club :lol:

Ian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
quattro said:
I'd be happier having a slightly louder cabin if it means that when I do take it down some lane it doesn't get stuck.
I managed to get it stuck yesterday, no deep mud just a slick smooth surface on an incline, just wouldn't go up nor would it go back the way it came. Did manage to free it by accepting a winch of my friend with erm.... a Discovery.... :oops:

I've got KM2s on mine and not noticed it noisy. Certainly wind noise is louder than the tyres. I think the new versions of all the mud tyres are much quieter than those of old as there's new regulations on noise now applicable.

Cheers

James,
IMHO you would be best served going with muds - maybe not quite as extreme as the ones Ian has but the BFG KM2 would probably fit the bill. MTs are generally more robustly made, so a bit more resistant to career-ending cuts and punctures. Of course with the big lugs exposed, they do get a few cosmetic nicks but the sidewalls are nice and beefy.
If the LC is a daily driver and you're regularly going to be doing big road miles in it, the extra noise of MTs might start to grate but from your description, this isn't an issue and the peace of mind on gravel tracks in Morocco will more than make up for it :mrgreen:

Cheers,

What about the Kumho KL71? They seem to have good test results and are very reasonable priced.

Standard 275/70/16's on mine & my speedo's spot on with my GPS thingamybob iv'e got.

Gilbert v H said:
What about the Kumho KL71? They seem to have good test results and are very reasonable priced.
That's what I have on mine ;) Good in mud and nice and quiet on-road but the rubber is quite soft and I would have my doubts about their wear going through Morocco, for example. But for UK use, they are very good IMHO.

I've got KL71s on my LJ70 and love them. Were brilliant in the snow at the start of the year and were my No 1 choice for my 80.
Unfortunately there only seemed to be 2 in the country in 285/75/16 when I looked. BFG MTs are more expensive but seem to be a harder wearing tyre. KL71s have done about 6K with a lot of offroad playing and are probably down to 10mm tread from a start of 17.

Cheers

Back