Ok then, first up is just a copy and paste from the other place, I'll add to it as I go
More coming up
This was last October. All went well on the 1500 mile round trip through Cornwall and back. About 4 hours were spent on various greenlanes round Wales and the Southwest and I only used lanes which were convenient for my overall A to B run The tent got a little condensation do to poor ventilation, I've now found that if I leave a window open a bit then everything stays dry inside.Jimbo4x4 said:Hi all, thought I'd start my own thread and just update it when I get new mods fitted to keep it all together. Enjoy
Sooooo, here is my motor as I bought it:
"Rex" is a 1992 LJ78 Auto with the optional rear difflock and switchable sports shocks. I had to search high and low for this one but eventually found him on e bay and won him for £1910. He was imported over in 1998 from Japanland and the only owner between then and me used it purley to tow his caravan with. The plus side of this meant Rex only got used in summer and despite never getting undersealed he never got any rust. None. At all. Not a single spec. The downside of this was the previous owner obviously thought the sport button in the centre console was just that - it turned it into a sportscar. Erm no, of course not, it just stiffens the shocks but because of his belief he never touched it and the rear springs are very tired from all those years of towing without having enough support from the shocks. I find myself using the sport button just to support the weight of a couple of rear seat passengers more comfortably but nevermind. I'll get some uprated springs (possibly a lift?) sorted eventually.
The first modification was to raise the dixon bate ground anchor to a less performance hindering height. This in turn made the rear fog more vulnerable and also the exhaust. I cut the exhaust back so in the worst case scenario it would push up inside the bumper in the event of grounding out rather than get flattened against it. After completely obliterating the fog lamp I moved the wiring to the off side reverse pod and painted that reverse bulb red. It's done a cracking job!
Anywho, within a month of owning Rex I decided the skinny doughnuts needed replacing. Preferably with big fat ones. There was only ever one type of tyre I was going to fit to this, Cooper Discoverer STTs. Having previously owned two sets on other 4x4s and knowing first hand just how capable off and on the road, not to mention just how damn tough they are, there's no other 4x4 tyre I would ever buy instead. Silverline4x4 had them on offer and I picked up a set of 4 265/75/16s mounted to 16x8 steel rims for £575 delivered.
I was very pleased with the result and after also getting some deep mud mats and seat covers I was (after 3 years out of 4x4 ownership) once again ready to properly offroad
I soon got fed up of loading my surfboards inside and decided that when on roadtrips I was going to need a roofrack to keep bulkier items out of the cab. A short browse through the interweb brought me to Direct4x4, who supplied me with a large aluminium roofrack with a 250kg payload for £160 delivered. This is a short term (read: "2 years or so") solution until I can afford/be bothered to get my own heavy-duty-rear-bumper-come-tubular-safari-rack made up.
After a some fairly vigorous off roading my exhaust started to look a bit tatty. My resident welder (my brother) fixed it up for the MOT and it passed with flying colours, but something definately needed doing about it. Put in a call to Peco exhausts in Rockferry (the same place Duffy sings about - damn that's gonna be in my head all night now!) on the Wirral and I have a custom stainless system sorted for £300. They tested three different designs on the rolling road before going for this one. They've really gone all out in making sure I get the best torque output. It looks great, sounds perfect - just a little bit meatier but not much louder than standard, performs better and best of all my economy has increased by nearly 5mpg! That's not far off an extra 100miles per tank! It splits in three places simply by loosening exhaust clamps so if I damage it off road or while overlanding I can pull the offending part off until I can find a garage. Top lads!
My latest addition to Rex is a Prime Tech rooftent. I had seen these on e bay a while ago and was a bit dubious about them simply because they're half the price of any others. I was holding out 'til I could afford a Howling Moon tent, which can be packed away for up to 4 weeks when wet without getting mouldy, but after speaking to some people on Difflock who have used the Prime Tech tents extensively and have nothing but praise for them I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. When I fitted it to my dads old roofbars from his Isuzu Trooper it was pretty obvious the bars weren't going to put up with the weight of me and my girlfriend at the same time, especially when me and my girlfriend are doing what boys and girls do when they're in bed together. I ended up joing the two bars together with scrap metal we had lying around and sitting one side of the tent on them. For the other side I cut the hoops down a little on the Direct4x4 roofrack and bolted the tent to the back of it. This turned out to be a great idea as it meant I could have the tent and the roofrack on at the same time.
Anyways, they say the proof of the pudding is in the tasting and I'm off to Cornwall all next week for my birthday when it will all get thoroughly tasted
I'll be sure to report back.
More coming up