Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Joined 60 series life!!

Tyrone Sharp

Country Flag
australia
Hey all !

Just thought id join up since ive recently purchased a 1984 HJ60 powered by the mighty 2H :)

I was hunting for an older truck for a while i cant stand any of the newer trucks , I wanted to steer away from too many gadgets and electronics and i want learn as much as i possibly can on proper mechanical parts and motors.

Trying to cut through alot of reading on forums about the 2H being rubbish slow etc Personally i love it , Love driving her , Pulls sweet on the flats and you just have to nurse her up the hills , Towed a trailer +navara up mt ousley at around 50kmh without pushing the revs past 2.7ish loved it ! And hey its a LandCRUISER not a landhighspeedmachine ahaha

Anyway im from the hills district in sydney just putting the feelers out to see if theres any gurus around who wouldnt mind passing on some knowledge onto a younger guy whos keen on turning wrenches on my cruiser,The goal is to keep her running sweet and make sure she looked after!

Cheers,
Couple of pics attached of the rig, The ute is an Xr6 Craig lowndes Edition :)

20180408_122900.jpg
20180413_224855.jpg
20180410_191507.jpg
20180410_195741.jpg
20180411_172458.jpg

Welcome to the forum Tyrone, I've has a 60 or two in my time and was driving one last Saturday. I get what you mean about their simplicity, they are from a different age.
IMG_1343.JPG

The bodywork on the UK trucks doesn't fare so well with the salt that goes down in the winter.

Hi Tyrone,
Nice 60, similar to mine. Is yours a 12V?
UK has 24V which is difficult to get some spares for.
I also like the 2H and have learned to leave home a bit earlier!!
Andy is the Guru here but I will chip in when I can
Welcome aboard!

Thanks fellas !
Pretty sure its the 12v model , im pretty lucky that i have Don Kyatt spares(terrain tamer) around the corner from me so i can pretty much get what i need from there in regards to the motor and spares for the old girl , But i am struggling to find info or to find parts atleast to replace my window rubbers (mainly the rear sliding windows) , At the moment theyre just a bit perished and i have a slow leak but its definately something i need to sort out ASAP

Thanks fellas !
Pretty sure its the 12v model , im pretty lucky that i have Don Kyatt spares(terrain tamer) around the corner from me so i can pretty much get what i need from there in regards to the motor and spares for the old girl , But i am struggling to find info or to find parts atleast to replace my window rubbers (mainly the rear sliding windows) , At the moment theyre just a bit perished and i have a slow leak but its definately something i need to sort out ASAP
Have you tried Toyota themselves, some parts are still available from them

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome to the forum Tyrone! I’m living in Bondi and I’ve recently got myself a 2H HJ60, they’re a joy to ride, but not so much on steep hills.

Don Kyatt are good and there’s also All Four x 4. There’s some rubber kits on there, I need to go about replacing mine too at some point.

Mines just been through rego and it took $3500 of work to get it through, but it’s worth it. I’ll post the details so you can check yours to make sure it’ll go through with no hiccups

14FE9342-DD6D-42E9-A181-AF675E59CEC2.jpeg

I've had my 1982 2h since 1999 and I do my own repairs and maintenance.

Sorry guys that 1982 where the 1999 should have been was a typo.
IMGP0902.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tyrone and others

You will find full maintenance and tech data in the manual which you should beable to access by asking Mr Google "Landcruiser Heavy Duty repair manual". It is actually for Canada/USA models but has all I need for the ground up restoration I have nearly finished. I would send a copy to you if I was smart enough to attach it here or if you are prepared to give an email address.

As for those of you looking for 24 volt electrical parts most trucks are 24 volt and truck parts shop s is were I go for electrical parts

I was having difficulty years ago with front Knuckle seals not lasting as there was a grove worn in the knuckle I was told I needed a new Diff housing or rechrome the ends of the diff housing. so I had a close look and saw the chrome was very thick and not worn through yet. I stripped the hubs down and got a kit and sat there for about half a week with a bastard file and emery paper. I had to file down the hardened chrome very carefully working in a rounding motion all the time going in diagional motions and axis type motions when I got down to the bottom of the grove or very close I started with a course emery paper keeping the round motion consistant as I got to the bottom of the grooves I used finer grades of emery paper and worked my way down until there was barely a groove to see and no apparent scoring from course emery paper that was in 2011 and my front hubs are still not leaking touch wood when I told the local mechanics what I had done they were flabagasted and scourned me for doing the wrong thing but is it? It works for me. You have to have a ton of patients and time to pull that off and also always aware that it must not have any flat spots. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back