Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jump leads

Julian

Ok, I have tried a search, couldn't find anything
I want some jump leads to put in the 'come in handy' bag in the back of the truck, what should I buy?

I have a set of these Halfords 25mm Booster Cables which are very good quality, although I'm sure I never paid the price they are at the moment, maybe copper prices are very high currently.

Thin leads just cannot carry enough current although given enough time they may put enough charge into the battery to allow starting.

I was about to buy these from Roughtrax for £29.99

With a carry bag. Says up to 5000cc, I assume that is 5000cc Petrol...

ignat said:
I was about to buy these from Roughtrax for £29.99

With a carry bag. Says up to 5000cc, I assume that is 5000cc Petrol...

Hi Kevin

I know its hard to tell from a picture, but the sizes look a bit thin, I would not like to draw 500 Amps through them.
Would have expected thicker cables for £35 !

Steve

My best ever jump cables were made of arc welder cable with four heavy duty clamps.

Bloody heavy but wound up quite small and would have lasted for ever if I hadn't had my garage broken into :evil:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got these of ebay a while back. Never needed to use them so not sure how good they actually are. 400A jobbies

I reckon the halfords 25mm jump leads are too thin to draw the recommended 400amps spec jump leads for the 4.2td. At the end of the day they are just flexible cables with clamps on the end (not much to go wrong), so if I were you I would go down to your local motor factors and get some 400amp jump leads. You will get far greater value for money than halfrauds I think I got some 400amp ones for £32 from lloyds motor spares in Wembley.

Price for diameter / length of cable = Value

Some Halfords branded products are very good value for money.

From the X-eng page; We have used the highest quality, ultra-flex(tm) 35mm welding cable

Told you so :dance:

Les, I knew you would be right, I am thinking of having a go at making a set up myself, I have a friend who will have a crimper for the big cable just need to find cable in a shorter lengths than 50m :lol:

50m is worth a fortune.

You need to go for 35 sq mm to 50 sq mm (how do you put that little 2 in there :?: )

Mine were 50 but big and heavy and perhaps a bit over the top for a cruiser. We used them loads of times to jump start coaches and lorries in the cold weather.

Julian - I've not called them but Tech Welding direct seem to sell by the metre. I'd be interested if you have any luck as the X0Eng is nice but very expensive.

Ecky Thump said:
You need to go for 35 sq mm to 50 sq mm (how do you put that little 2 in there :?: )

ALT-253 :geek: 50mm²

Those X-Eng ones use 2 x Anderson plugs - the big ones - which alone are pretty damn expensive, especially if they come with the covers ....

so if you want the flexibility of plug-n-play, that's not a bad price

Back