Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

just bought my first cruiser

james ware

Country Flag
australia
My details:
James ware
95 cruiser ute that has been turned into a 14 seat safari truck - lazy axle added
have kept the shell and turned it into a motorhome to overland the globe
love 4 wheel driving and have some moderate experience

i have fallen head over heels in love with my new girl and am on here to find out how best to look after her
she has done 350 and i want to get over 500 out of her touch wood so want to draw on the experience and expertise of the legends in this club to assist me - i dont ever see the point of reinventing the wheel

48385978_10157004119265719_5047563372917161984_n.jpg

whats the best oil and filters to use on these 4.2l diesel engines please - she runs like a train so i want to spoil her

thanks in advance
James

Welcome aboard! That looks a monster - nice size for an overlander though.

Welcome aboard! That looks a monster - nice size for an overlander though.

thanks
yeah absolutely
perfect size
perfect performance capability
whats the best way for me to find out how to give her the right TLC please

thanks again

That looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing what’s inside. Welcome.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi James and Welcome. That’s one heck of a truck for overlanding. Looks a great base vehicle.
Filters and parts in general, use genuine Toyota. The filters have been proven to be far superior to anything else and the genuine parts make these trucks what they are. You can find genuine cheaper than the dealership but it’s worth building a relationship with your local parts guy. Amayama, Partsouq or Megazip are good sources but your dealer may be competitive for service items. Oils I would use a trusted brand of semi synthetic for the engine, Toyota Red coolant and use your suppliers database to get the right oils for other areas. If you don’t have a switchable Diff lock on the back it might have a limited slip Diff in it and need LSD oil but a good database will record this.

Another tip is to fill in your signature on here with details of your truck, it’s engine and gearbox so folks have a reference to know what variant you have.

Great truck and great Mrs for spotting her.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing how the truck turns out.

Best wishes
Rich

My details:
James ware
95 cruiser ute that has been turned into a 14 seat safari truck - lazy axle added
have kept the shell and turned it into a motorhome to overland the globe
love 4 wheel driving and have some moderate experience

i have fallen head over heels in love with my new girl and am on here to find out how best to look after her
she has done 350 and i want to get over 500 out of her touch wood so want to draw on the experience and expertise of the legends in this club to assist me - i dont ever see the point of reinventing the wheel

View attachment 153251

whats the best oil and filters to use on these 4.2l diesel engines please - she runs like a train so i want to spoil her

thanks in advance
James

Awesome truck!! Welcome to the forum and good luck with your travel plans.

Hi James and Welcome. That’s one heck of a truck for overlanding. Looks a great base vehicle.
Filters and parts in general, use genuine Toyota. The filters have been proven to be far superior to anything else and the genuine parts make these trucks what they are. You can find genuine cheaper than the dealership but it’s worth building a relationship with your local parts guy. Amayama, Partsouq or Megazip are good sources but your dealer may be competitive for service items. Oils I would use a trusted brand of semi synthetic for the engine, Toyota Red coolant and use your suppliers database to get the right oils for other areas. If you don’t have a switchable Diff lock on the back it might have a limited slip Diff in it and need LSD oil but a good database will record this.

Another tip is to fill in your signature on here with details of your truck, it’s engine and gearbox so folks have a reference to know what variant you have.

Great truck and great Mrs for spotting her.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing how the truck turns out.

Best wishes
Rich

cheers mate
appreciate all your advice
will follow your instructions
thanks again

Must be a one-off that one ... perfect! And yes, more pics would be ideal :lol:

Welcome aboard James :thumbup:

cheers mate
appreciate all your advice
will follow your instructions
thanks again

Mate
sorry to be a pain in the butt but where would you start if you were a complete novice like me - what are the big ticket items i should concentrate on - who should i go and talk to - my local toyota dealer - appreciate anything you have to offer

thanks

Baseline the vehicle. @Chris is probably one of the most knowledgeable on here in doing this.

What do I mean by that?
Go through everything that can suffer, especially as it’s a modified truck.
Bushes will probably have taken a beating.
Check welds and attachment points for cracks or serious rust.
Check /overhaul brakes
Check for any wiring additions and make sure they are done safely with adequate fusing.
Check for leakage on the front axle swivels.
Check the condition of the front Diff oil for signs of grease contamination.
Consider if changing front axle seals is needed.
Check for leakage and change all fluids.
Change cam belt, adjuster and water pump.
My knowledge on the 70 series is next to nonexistent but most of this is non vehicle specific.
Maybe Chris can add his thoughts as the above is what I’ve learned from this forum.

Baseline the vehicle. @Chris is probably one of the most knowledgeable on here in doing this.

What do I mean by that?
Go through everything that can suffer, especially as it’s a modified truck.
Bushes will probably have taken a beating.
Check welds and attachment points for cracks or serious rust.
Check /overhaul brakes
Check for any wiring additions and make sure they are done safely with adequate fusing.
Check for leakage on the front axle swivels.
Check the condition of the front Diff oil for signs of grease contamination.
Consider if changing front axle seals is needed.
Check for leakage and change all fluids.
Change cam belt, adjuster and water pump.
My knowledge on the 70 series is next to nonexistent but most of this is non vehicle specific.
Maybe Chris can add his thoughts as the above is what I’ve learned from this forum.

thanks mate
bloody brilliant
can i get your thoughts on when i change my oil whether i should send some to get lab tested to see what they can tell me about how my engine is going. i know it sounds wanky but when it comes to good technological advances - this sounds like a winner - is it a waste of time or will it give me good insight into how my engine is performing and what i need to do to improve performance and increase longevity

would appreciate your thoughts

thanks

I guess there’s nothing wrong with having it analysed. Some of the 4.2 12 valve engines suffered premature big end bearing failure though I’m guessing at your mileage that won’t be an issue. Analysis is one thing, I would expect interpretation to be another and say that if you’re going to do it maybe it needs to be done at each oil change to see how things are progressing. TBH , I have little to no knowledge on this really. As far as oil changes go, some folks do 6000 miles, some 5, some more. It’s down to preference. These engines are great if looked after and will take a fair bit of tuning. Have a search on here for tuning the 1HD-T and you should find loads. If you can cool it sufficiently and keep exhaust gas temperatures acceptable then there’s a fair bit can be done.

I guess there’s nothing wrong with having it analysed. Some of the 4.2 12 valve engines suffered premature big end bearing failure though I’m guessing at your mileage that won’t be an issue. Analysis is one thing, I would expect interpretation to be another and say that if you’re going to do it maybe it needs to be done at each oil change to see how things are progressing. TBH , I have little to no knowledge on this really. As far as oil changes go, some folks do 6000 miles, some 5, some more. It’s down to preference. These engines are great if looked after and will take a fair bit of tuning. Have a search on here for tuning the 1HD-T and you should find loads. If you can cool it sufficiently and keep exhaust gas temperatures acceptable then there’s a fair bit can be done.

thanks again
really appreciate it

Back