Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

just had a clutch quote off toyota uk and nearly fell over..

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
.. in a good way for once, 350 including bearing and vat. that's pretty good to me.

speaking to the fella he reckons Toyota uk are getting there act together on pricing, told him he might be seeing more of me..

.. in a good way for once, 350 including bearing and vat. that's pretty good to me.

speaking to the fella he reckons Toyota uk are getting there act together on pricing, told him he might be seeing more of me..
That sounds the right money to me, and no lying on your back mauling a huge heavy gearbox.

Is that just the parts not fitting aswell?

Sorry just parts.
looking forward to lying on my back and mauling a huge heavy gearbox. :icon-biggrin:

I was quoted about the same from Toyota 3 maybe 4 years ago , i can't remember the fitted price but it added maybe 50 quid over a mate of mine who has a backstreet garage .

The clutch lasted one year almost to the day . The Toyota dealer blamed me .

The exedy that replaced it in a backstreet is still going strong , if anything my driving style has gotten harder on the clutch as modifications added power .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds about right, I paid just under €500 and a bit more on top for fitting, both bearings etc., no short cuts.

I also renewed the clutch master and slave which did smart a bit, but I didn't want anything at all compromising the new clutch.

It drives beautifully now, I lingered on for ages with it slipping, fearing the inevitable bill :lol:

Im on the original one at 265000 miles. So toyota will go back in..

I was quoted £520 for drive in/out clutch change using OEM parts (plates and bearing) at the weekend by a relatively local garage. I've also found a fully equipped garage in town that you can hire for £10/hr for DIY repairs. Ramp, transmission jacks, welding equip etc.. and there is a mechanic on hand to advise so I'll be looking into that to see how good a setup it is. I've changed a couple of clutches before on smaller cars on the drive using axle stands but nothing as big as the 80 so b*****ks to that!

If you have stands and ramp etc then you can pull the whole thing out in one, but having done this about 6 times on an 80, I'd spend 40 mins taking the transfer box off first. It's a doddle and makes the whole job a lot easier. If I was doing on the floor again then I'd most certainly .....

Pay someone else to do it.

I'm thinking that with the use of a hydraulic ramp and associated transmission jack the main and xfer boxes could be removed as one relatively easily? What do you guys reckon the combined weight of the two boxes is?

Now you're asking. I'd say that the main box is about 50kg and the T box maybe 35. Really hard to say from memory. If you are well set up, yes the out in one method is quicker. But there is so much more wiggle room with the T box off. Easier to balance the gearbox too. But with a really good transmission jack, possibly 2 then sure. But the T box is only 7 bolts. With a whizzy gun it doesn't take long at all. I've only ever done it on the ground and it's hateful. My local clutch place when they did it before I went to France had the unit out in 1hr 15 mins.

I dont trust anyone else with the old girl, at least if i #### it up i can only shout at myself.
Ive got a four post ramp with ramp jack and stands etc.

The bell housing is very tight against the bulkhead and it's difficult to get the gear shaft into the clutch centre hole. A lot of twisting on mine was required which would have been impossible with the transfer on.

Back