Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

K&N Air Filter

fridayman

Garage
Has anyone fitted one of these? I bought model E-2233 as per the website but it doesn't fit (without significant modification to the airbox). Do I have the correct one for my 99 3.0 TD?

Better to stick with the OEM filter. K&N might increase the airflow into the engine but will it filter out as much dust? If your cruiser stays on tar, then this is not a big deal - for any real off-road work or overlanding, OEM is the way to go IMHO.

If you have a snorkel, you could fit a pre-filter to reduce dust intake but the pre-filter would probably undo the benefits of the K&N...

Sorry that that doesn't answer your question about the correct part :?

I haven't actually bought the K&N for better airflow. I got it to save money on air filters (I plan on keeping this truck for a while). The benefits from increased airflow is not that great anyway IMO - I could get better results by running regular size road tyres vs the slightly larger AT's that I have now.

I have always been very happy with K&N filters in all my bikes (road and off-road) despite the perennial debate on K&N vs OEM. I would be very interested in any evidence that the OEM car filters are better than K&N's?

Reading quite a few pieces on the net agreeing with you Andrew, but nobody with anything concrete..? :think:

fridayman said:
I would be very interested in any evidence that the OEM car filters are better than K&N's?
Do a seach on the Aus and South African forums and there are quite a few stories about the amount of dust that K&N lets through versus OEM.

Is K&N cheaper than OEM? That I did not expect :?

Andrew Prince said:
Is K&N cheaper than OEM? That I did not expect :?

Not cheaper for just one, but the K&N never has to be replaced (just cleaned and oiled).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
http://web.archive.org/web/200807140311 ... /index.htm

this test was carried out a few years ago, but unfortunately the page has disappeared. this archive is all i could find, but it has lost its graphs. the conclusions are still there though.

i don't see a k&n as a problem here, but i don't think it would be a good idea if you were going somewhere with fine dust.

From what I've learnt today, a K&N might actually give a small performance benefit (I was surprised at this). Here in the UK it sounds like a good investment, but many people are saying that it lets too much dust through in high-dust conditions like South Africa and Australia. I've already bought one although it doesn't fit... doh! I'm sending it back and seeing if they can send me one that does fit, but the K&N website is wrong.

Does anyone know what the OE air filter part number is?

fridayman said:
Does anyone know what the OE air filter part number is?

The Parts Diagram (for the 1KZ-TE motor) shows two variations:

17801 ELEMENT SUB-ASSY, AIR CLEANER FILTER
17801-670301 KZTE..KZJ9*; PAPER
17801-670601 KZTE..KZJ95..RHD; FABRIC

Hope this is what you're after.

Bob.

To make the debate more complex - the fabric filter supplied by Toyota can be cleaned... even diagrams on the top of the filter on how to clean it :)

So you dont have to buy K & N just to be able to re-use it

Dave

Back