Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Kdj120 oil filter removal tool

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
I want to change my oil and filter but my filter dont wanna play ball.
I have the pliers like grips but a bit awkward to use in the current position.
Im looking for the socket fitment tool that fits over the top of the filter and just twist off with my socket.
Before people say there are loads on ebay or Amazon i dont want a plastic one and need the correct size.
I have just put my registration into rough trax site and apparently the filter size i need is 104mm.
Any ideas were to get one and if there any good to use.
Sorry if there is a post already out there just not good with navigating around this site.

Many thanks.
Tony

Tony, check what you have on there and what you are going to replace it with, as regards the tool.
When I did an oil change on my 78 once, the tool I had wouldn't grip, (awkward place) I already had toyota filter, so I bought a wrench to fit, one of those hexagon shaped dish things put on from underneath, with socket drive in centre. Only trouble was, it fitted toyota perfectly, but not the blueprint one on there, (different amount of sides), had to muller the blueprint one off in the end, but easy to fit toyota.

Hello guys.
Im looking for the socket fitment tool that fits over the top of the filter and just twist off with my socket.
Before people say there are loads on ebay or Amazon i dont want a plastic one and need the correct size.
I have just put my registration into rough trax site and apparently the filter size i need is 104mm.
Sorry if there is a post already out there just not good with navigating around this site.

Many thanks.
Tony
If someone has used a tool to tighten the oil filter on tight even the tool that fits on top like a old dustbin lid will sometimes not get it loose and just spin round on top of the oil filter , and the only way to get the filter loose quickly and not messy (by not punching a hole in through it ) is a three legged oilfilter removing tool as it tightens and turns the more you turn your socket wrench but make sure it will expand to your size of oil filter coz my oil filter is only 73m wide with 14 flutes , I have about four types and use the bin lid type on mine , but when I first got the truck the bin lid type would not undo it coz someone had over tightened the filter , but the sikes pickervant three legged adjustable one that looks like the one David put a pick of I got from halfords got it off with no trouble at all , stay away from the blackbin lid type coz they have the round head where you fit your ratchet extension spot welded on and if you use a bit of leverage with your ratchet it unsticks and becomes useless un less you weld it back on , get one of those silver one piece forged ones with a nut on top where you stick your extension bar in , you will need two extension bars together so you can bypass all the stuff around the filter so that you can turn your ratchet .

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good info there TONYCY11. The chain type as per TonyP, are good, and I have had one for around 40 years, on the lj78 there was not enough room to use. I looked at the jaws type David has, and thought that if the filter was super tight, the jaws may crush the filter, but obviously works for David.
As I had to muller the old filter anyway, I may have been better off with the jaws type, as universal.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some good info there TONYCY11. The chain type as per TonyP, are good, and I have had one for around 40 years, on the lj78 there was not enough room to use. I looked at the jaws type David has, and thought that if the filter was super tight, the jaws may crush the filter, but obviously works for David.
As I had to muller the old filter anyway, I may have been better off with the jaws type, as universal.
the jaws type I have will mark the oil filter if its on super tight but will not crush it (not a toyota genuine one any way) or any other good brand . I have used it on many cars that my three kids have had as its a one size fits all and I never crushed a filter as the filter will turn before it crushes .

I got one forty years ago coz that was the only one you could get at the time apart from the strap type that worked on a similar basis but was crap , the one I got forty years ago did used to crush the filter when it was on very tight coz of the bar with teeth that the chain gripped on ,

If someone has used a tool to tighten the oil filter on tight even the tool that fits on top like a old dustbin lid will sometimes not get it loose and just spin round on top of the oil filter , and the only way to get the filter loose quickly and not messy (by not punching a hole in through it ) is a three legged oilfilter removing tool as it tightens and turns the more you turn your socket wrench but make sure it will expand to your size of oil filter coz my oil filter is only 73m wide with 14 flutes , I have about four types and use the bin lid type on mine , but when I first got the truck the bin lid type would not undo it coz someone had over tightened the filter , but the sikes pickervant three legged adjustable one that looks like the one David put a pick of I got from halfords got it off with no trouble at all , stay away from the blackbin lid type coz they have the round head where you fit your ratchet extension spot welded on and if you use a bit of leverage with your ratchet it unsticks and becomes useless un less you weld it back on , get one of those silver one piece forged ones with a nut on top where you stick your extension bar in , you will need two extension bars together so you can bypass all the stuff around the filter so that you can turn your ratchet .
You still have your kd, ftv model I take it just rough trax the filter I need says 104mm with my reg. I have just found the tool your talking about and just reviewed on YouTube and looks OK and only cheap.

I used a strap one many moons ago that I borrowed from a mate, trouble was it was oily and slipped when tensioned, thats when I bought the chain type and the 78 has been the only one to ever defeat it ( no room)

Tony, check what you have on there and what you are going to replace it with, as regards the tool.
When I did an oil change on my 78 once, the tool I had wouldn't grip, (awkward place) I already had toyota filter, so I bought a wrench to fit, one of those hexagon shaped dish things put on from underneath, with socket drive in centre. Only trouble was, it fitted toyota perfectly, but not the blueprint one on there, (different amount of sides), had to muller the blueprint one off in the end, but easy to fit toyota.
True well said Tractionman different makes of filter can be a millimetre or two different widths and can have different number of flutes on the top of the filter.

TBH I don't care much if it crushes it a bit as it is scrap anyways, if you were to get a jaw type be careful as some of the cheap ones won't go big enough for some filters

I got one forty years ago coz that was the only one you could get at the time apart from the strap type that worked on a similar basis but was crap , the one I got forty years ago did used to crush the filter when it was on very tight coz of the bar with teeth that the chain gripped on ,
I have just had a look on Google and found 2 tools that show promise.
1st
3 leg rachet type the tonycy11 told me about.
2nd
Was a chain with socket rachet use and both cheap under £10.

Thanks for you information.

You still have your kd, ftv model I take it just rough trax the filter I need says 104mm with my reg. I have just found the tool your talking about and just reviewed on YouTube and looks OK and only cheap.
pre 2006 120 models have a bigger wider oilfilter than the 2006 on 120s , yes I still have my 120 and will have it for many years to come .

I used a strap one many moons ago that I borrowed from a mate, trouble was it was oily and slipped when tensioned, thats when I bought the chain type and the 78 has been the only one to ever defeat it ( no room)
I have used the three-legged sikes-pickervant one on many cars my kids have had and on friends cars and lent it to friends who have had trouble getting their oilfilters off and its always worked and done the job easily and quickly . but I prefer to use my 73mm bin lid type when I know my filter is not too tight on my 120 . but like you said about different makes of filter before I got three boxes of 10 oil filters from burrows toyota on offer for £6 each £180 in all for 30 filters in 2015 , I got a AMC one in a kit with a fuel filter and air filter from roughtrax and the AMC one was 74mm wide instead of 73mm the Toyota ones are so the three legged tool came in handy come next oil change time. I like to have all the tools I may need and have been buying then since I got my first car a N reg 1974 Mazda Rx3 rotary engined coupe in 1978 coz nobody knew anything about rotary cars back then and I could not afford to take it to the mazda dealers I quickly learned how to service/fix it with a Haynes workshop manual , but it helped alot if your car crazy like I was and still am .

Hello guys.

Many thanks.
Tony
Hi Tony,

What is the toyota part number of your oil filter? If it's a 90915-30002-8T then it's the same as fitted to the 100 series, and the Toyota SST, Special service tool for removing the oil filter is 09228-10002, I have one and it works a treat. I have tried all the rest but this is the real deal.

you can use a 3/8 drive extension on the inner drive or a 17mm socket on the outer drive. The eBay listing below is just 'for example' you could prob get one from a Toyota Dealer for similar price with out paying the postage.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony,

What is the toyota part number of your oil filter? If it's a 90915-30002-8T then it's the same as fitted to the 100 series, and the Toyota SST, Special service tool for removing the oil filter is 09228-10002, I have one and it works a treat. I have tried all the rest but this is the real deal.

you can use a 3/8 drive extension on the inner drive or a 17mm socket on the outer drive. The eBay listing below is just 'for example' you could prob get one from a Toyota Dealer for similar price with out paying the postage.

Hope this helps.

[/URL]

That's the one I was looking for in the first place and will have a look see if I have a part number on it.
I have ordered the 3 leg oil removal tool. If it works as I expect it to then its a cheap bonus at £11 I think.
I now have the link to the one I need at least if the 3 leg tool don't work.
Thanks for taking the time to find me the tool I may need in the near future.

TBH I don't care much if it crushes it a bit as it is scrap anyways, if you were to get a jaw type be careful as some of the cheap ones won't go big enough for some filters
The size of the tool I have ordered it fits from 64mm to 104mm and its a 3 leg oil tool removal tool.

Thanks dave.

Back