Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KDJ125 Centre Diff Lock

tallhats

Country Flag
ireland
On my Kdj125 the centre diff lock is turned on with the high low lever so it's not possible to drive in low range without engaging the centre diff lock.Is the centre diff lock on this vehicle engaged electrically can anyone say?There's a diff fuse in the fuse box.Many thanks

Would merely removing the fuse prevent the centre diff lock actuating?

That would be the logic I guess. But that would probably also affect the rest of the 4x4 system. If the centre doesn't register locked then when you put it into low range, the rear diff won't lock. Or if you have ATRAK or something fancy it might throw its toys out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, just I do not understand, you said that when you are engaging Low with the lever you also turn on the diff lock - so both actions are done mechanically - so I think that there is no electrical actuator... and it is not possible to switch off the diff lock while being in low...

Its sorta possible. Its AWD, so technically its always locking in the sense that front and rear are always turning, but the electrical "lock" pins the spider gears for 100% equal locking. Not a great system as its more complicated than it coulda been, but it works. The older units were a diagnostic challenge since they coudnt set fault codes or be scanned in any way. I honestly dont know why the front rear transfer case needed to be electrically locked, it seems like they took a simple idea and made it more complicated (especially since they didnt include diag early on). You absolutely can be in low with the actuator switched on or off. You just will have potential slippage between the front and rear, where as electrically locked they will be forced identical. Ford or Chevy trucks, you switch to 4w low, you get crow hop on a turn, ALWAYS. This system will NOT hop unless you activate the lock. BUT, it is still AWD, sorta, kinda...depending on wording.

Tallhats, can you write down what is exactly written on your low/high lever? Then I could answer you exactly how is your system working...

There could be different systems on 120/125.
If you have L-N-H then diff locking is with an actuator - I have this system - an you can lock or unlock diff in both Low and High gears
If you have H-HL-N-LL then diff locking is done only manually by levers and limitation is clear from writing on the lever - if you are in Low, the diff is always locked - and this limitation is only driven by mechanical stuff, probably it was too complicated to make it separate - locking and Low/High shifting.

Last edited:
Back