Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Keeping track or unread posts

Rob

Garage
Keeping track of unread posts

Let me start by saying, if this sounds like a rant it's unintentional. I am genuinely struggling to keep track of new posts on this new forum and would like to find out if I am doing something wrong or if improvements are needed.

First of all I am having trouble with getting tapatalk to mark topics as read, so if I read a topic and even post a reply via tapatalk and return to the web based forum the topics are unread. I would use the mobile website but that layout has recently been broken.

Now on the full website forum, there are 2 buttons that I can click to see what has been posted, what's new and new posts. If I click on what's new I can select how far back I would like to go, but I cannot go to the last unread post in a thread and there is a lot of information to sift through as every time someone posts a reply to a topic it generates another event line. It is also unclear if I have read the topic or not when listed in the what's new area. If I click on new posts it only seems to go back a very short amount of time, I have on a few occasions had a long list of unread posts only to find them all to disappear once I have refreshed. There does not seem to be an option to extend how far back in time the new posts list goes. I also suspect that the tapatalk's unread list is the same as new posts as it does not go back far enough.

I have also found that when you respond to a topic and some replies before you the forum does not notify you of this and marks the topic as read.

To ensure I do not miss anything I am checking in 3 locations for new activity in the following order, new posts, what's new and then browsing the forum manually. Is there a setting I can change or am I have I missed something? If not, could you increase the time it displays a topic in the new posts page to say a week? Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Yep, I agree…. The "view unread posts button" seems to be missing.

I just make a reply, then hit the "New posts" again.

Gra.

Yep, new posts works for me too Gra. None of the clutter. Just like the old button really. Anything new, plus anything responded to. Took me a while to find it, but I feel happy with that view.

Chris

Right, I've fixed (he says) the new threads / unread threads thing.
What was happening was, by default, the forum would mark all threads as read once a) you log out b) your session expires (was 30 minutes, now an hour). This is the default because it is the kindest to the server. I've changed it now to only mark threads as read once you have read the last post in a thread. The downside to this is that ALL threads have now been marked as unread. You'll have to either mark whole forum as read and start again or read all the posts. Seeing as there are over 100k posts, this might take a while.
Not sure where the "mark all as read" button is so if someone can find it and highlight it, that would be cool.

I think the other problems might go away with this fix. Maybe the tapatalk one Rob. Could you try it please.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
New post doesn't work well for me Chris, If for instance you've logged off and then logged back on later any new posts that were there before are not any more, whether or not you've read them, so an unread posts option would be welcome.
The only way to see recent posts is to click on posts from the last 24hrs but that button is only there the first time you click on the 24hrs button, if you then go back to new posts it isn't, the only way to get that is to log off and back on again.
I know that recent posts can be seen in that sidebar but that lists every single post not just threads so there are masses of posts to look through to find the relavent one you may be looking for, having an unread posts option would save a lot of faffing about.
Unless of course there is a way of doing it that I haven't discovered yet, but as others seem to be having the same concerns I would assume not.
Having said all that I am gradually finding my way about this new site and I do appreciate what a lot of hard work Crispin has done here, thank you Crispin.

New post doesn't work well for me Chris, If for instance you've logged off and then logged back on later any new posts that were there before are not any more, whether or not you've read them, so an unread posts option would be welcome.
The only way to see recent posts is to click on posts from the last 24hrs but that button is only there the first time you click on the 24hrs button, if you then go back to new posts it isn't, the only way to get that is to log off and back on again.
I know that recent posts can be seen in that sidebar but that lists every single post not just threads so there are masses of posts to look through to find the relavent one you may be looking for, having an unread posts option would save a lot of faffing about.
Unless of course there is a way of doing it that I haven't discovered yet, but as others seem to be having the same concerns I would assume not.
Having said all that I am gradually finding my way about this new site and I do appreciate what a lot of hard work Crispin has done here, thank you Crispin.
I was composing the above while Crispin had made a comment on this, before when you made a comment and posted it you would get indication that another post had been made and you could reconsider yours, now I posted this and then found out my comments had been addressed so my post was unecessary!

The new posts button seems to be working okay for me.......

Cool Chas. That is the same URL as the "What's new" link at the top of the page.
I've now added a "New Posts" button to the top of the menu which is a bit clearer for all. Does the same thing though.

Thanks Crispin, not checked the website yet but it seems to have sorted the tapatalk issue as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back