Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Key fob number advice please

mr_magicfingers

I have a spare toyota key fob interior that I was going to recode for my old Colorado before it went to the great scrap yard in the sky. I'm wondering if I can code it to my newer 120 rather than throw it away. The ID number from the old one is 60081 whereas the new car key has code 50171. Both are 433Mhz, 2 button remotes, so I'm wondering if they are interchangeable or not.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

I have a spare toyota key fob interior that I was going to recode for my old Colorado before it went to the great scrap yard in the sky. I'm wondering if I can code it to my newer 120 rather than throw it away. The ID number from the old one is 60081 whereas the new car key has code 50171. Both are 433Mhz, 2 button remotes, so I'm wondering if they are interchangeable or not.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.
No harm trying it. Programming a new key fob won't overwrite the existing ones. According to this document, the 50171 key is suitable for the Prado 120 (think it's branded Land Cruiser in the UK).

https://www.independentlocksmiths.com.au/component/joomdoc/Manual/Remote Programming Proceedures/Toyota Prado RAV4 Kluger Avensis Tarago Pg 7E 7F.pdf/download

The 90 series Prado came with just one button key fobs here in Australia, and they are separate to the key. I'm thinking maybe these 2-button ones will therefore work with the 90 series as well. Hmmmm.... save space on my keyring!

Thanks very much. I'm just waiting for a key blank to arrive and be cut then I can put it all together and try it. The Colorado over here came with the same 2 button remote that I have now so I'm hoping the different part numbers are just an age difference.

Will reply when I've had a chance to try it.

No harm trying it. Programming a new key fob won't overwrite the existing ones. According to this document, the 50171 key is suitable for the Prado 120 (think it's branded Land Cruiser in the UK).

https://www.independentlocksmiths.com.au/component/joomdoc/Manual/Remote Programming Proceedures/Toyota Prado RAV4 Kluger Avensis Tarago Pg 7E 7F.pdf/download

The 90 series Prado came with just one button key fobs here in Australia, and they are separate to the key. I'm thinking maybe these 2-button ones will therefore work with the 90 series as well. Hmmmm.... save space on my keyring!

Let me know if the 2 button remote works!

OK, had a blank key cut today, it needs a bit of wiggling to turn but does work.

I programmed the fob to open and close the doors remotely, which was straightforward.

However, I can get the truck into programming mode for the transponder but it won't program. I get the flashing light on the dash that flashes 3 times with a gap between the second and third flash, kind of 1,1,2 and that triple flash just keeps repeating, it doesn't go off the way you'd expect after 60 seconds if the key was programmed.

I'm guessing the transponder chip inside won't work for the newer vehicle, so I'll have to pick up the correct 50171 version instead.

Picked up a 50171 key blank from eBay user Hivekeys for £22. Programmed the transponder and lock buttons with the info from this site and now just need to get the blank cut. Saves me over a hundred quid compared to a dealer or locksmith. Very pleased.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If anyone would like a genuine Toyota 60081 key fob interior, just message me and I'll pop it in the post. No use to me now.

Back