Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Key fob/remote for 96 JDM Prado TX

ossands

Country Flag
united_states
He there,

Just got a new-to-me 1996 Prado TX from an auto auction in Japan. I've got a couple questions:

1) While the car appears to have central locking (controlled by button in the door or the drivers lock) there was no key fob/remote provided. Only blank keys. Does anyone know if this model will obey signals from a key fob?
2) (Presuming an affirmative answer to my previous question) What is the proper part number for the key fob? A site called 'Nengun' indicates that the appropriate part number is a 89742-12060. However, this costs more than $US200 and it's unclear if they have it available (indeed, it's unclear if anyone can get a 89742-12060). Might other variants of the 89742 work ok?

Thanks in advance

If there isn't a fob then it's hard to know unless you examine what modules are installed. That's the first thing to figure out.

Remote central locking was an option on some Australian Prados so I suspect you might not have it if there's no fob.

My JDM prado just has a key, I suspect they didn't have remote central locking.

My JDM Prodo came with a fob looks like the photos below, with remote locking, not sure if this is OEM? 1996 December model

Attachments

• E2C7030A-074F-4C88-84DD-6D897FC10FC2.jpeg
    E2C7030A-074F-4C88-84DD-6D897FC10FC2.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DABE50A5-FC21-40BC-A223-EFF9104F4C6B.jpeg
    DABE50A5-FC21-40BC-A223-EFF9104F4C6B.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Thank you for that. I've tried to order-in a key from Amayama. We'll see how that goes.

What level of trim have you got there? Mines a TX.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Aerolastic,

Thank you for the info.

I *had* found a place that would send me a 89742-12060 (Amayama?) but they have recently indicated that they probably can't fulfill the order. I believe the 89742-12060 is a key and your fob may be different. I think the build date on my TX is June or July 1996 so it's a bit older than yours but I'm guessing that the signaling is compatible.

Can you find a part number on your fob?

Mine is December 1996, so not sure when central locking has been introduced to the 90 series. But if as AdventureWagon said it’s an option, then we will never find out.

Sorry Ossands, I can’t see any part number on my key fob. Anyone else has a similar key fob? Just want to know if this is Toyota Original from factory.

Last edited:
FWIW mine came with a single button teardrop shape remote very much like this:

I think this is a thing that varies a lot between markets though, especially with different countries having different radio bands that these things are allowed to work on.

Hello AdventureWagon, et. al.

Previous attempts at the 89742-12060 are suspended as 1) they're $US 200 and 2) you can't seem to get them. Many, many, sites advertise they have them but are out of stock. Even if you find a vendor that *says* they'll send them, they seem to change their mind. I had a vendor accept and order and then tell me that they're temporarily out of stock. But they didn't give a date for when they think it will be in-stock, so I cancelled.

My latest attempt to get a remote is directed at an '89070-33070'. c.f.

Looks like this might just be the guts of a fob and not a key like the 89742-12060 appears to be, or a fob with buttons, but just a circuit board. It's unclear. They're only $US16/each. I'll let you know if 1) They arrive 2) I can get it to work with my 96 JDM Prado TX. 3) What the format of the 89070-33070 is.

It's mad how there were so many options. I know that some are down to the market (315/433MHz). So jealous of that key with the button!

I didn’t even know it was there until I stopped for dinner after purchasing it at the dealer. I wondered why it said ‘lock/unlock door’ on the key. Duh! That’s what keys DO! Then I noticed the button. I left the restaurant in the middle of the meal to go try it out.

Thanks for looking.

I’m searching but don’t have high hope even for the ones in stock.

Thanks again !

Back