Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Key shaped warning light on dash

robthebox

Hi there. I’ve not been on for a bit, been missing out on a lot, been busy building, all done now happily. My collie has a new key shaped warning light I’ve not seen before. Just wondering if anyone has had this before and what is it about. All locks seem ok ??
Cheers Rob

immobilizer is recognizing an attempt at theft , mine wouldn't start at all until i eventually worked out my key was bent .

Immobiliser warning light. Comes on (flashes) when car is off and key is out as an anti theft light. Should go out as soon as the key is inserted, certainly my 2000 VZJ95R does. Lets you know get car has sensed a genuine key and unimmobilised ready to start.

If it's still flashing with your key inserted then you have an immobiliser fault, but flashing with key out is normal behaviour.

Last edited:
Hi there. I’ve not been on for a bit, been missing out on a lot, been busy building, all done now happily. My collie has a new key shaped warning light I’ve not seen before. Just wondering if anyone has had this before and what is it about. All locks seem ok ??
Cheers Rob
immobilizer is recognizing an attempt at theft , mine wouldn't start at all until i eventually worked out my key was bent .

Thanks for the input gentlemen nice to hear from you all. I’ve tried the spare key ... no change there and it’s still flashing when all is locked up for the night either by the fob or spare key. I had a feeling that it was to remind me that I’d left the key in.
It’s probably going to take a while to flatten both batteries so I’ll leave it for now. I can barely walk ... had new joints fitted in my big toes, it’ll be a few weeks before I’m able to climb all over it again without hurting myself. Instead I’ll lie on the couch watching telly and drink tea with my feet elevated 3ft from horizontal for a few weeks. Cheers everyone

Sounds like an immobiliser fault, either the coil behind the cowling, amplifier nearby, or the computer, or connections between each. You can ohm out the coil and of course check the wiring.

If it helps my 90 series sat for over 4 weeks with no ill effect, started fine, and that's a petrol with one battery.

Hope you feel better soon!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the input gentlemen nice to hear from you all. I’ve tried the spare key ... no change there and it’s still flashing when all is locked up for the night either by the fob or spare key. I had a feeling that it was to remind me that I’d left the key in.
It’s probably going to take a while to flatten both batteries so I’ll leave it for now. I can barely walk ... had new joints fitted in my big toes, it’ll be a few weeks before I’m able to climb all over it again without hurting myself. Instead I’ll lie on the couch watching telly and drink tea with my feet elevated 3ft from horizontal for a few weeks. Cheers everyone

Hey Rob, from reading this, it seems like you are describing the normal slow pulse/flash of the red icon on the instrument cluster when the truck is closed up. Is it still flashing when you turn the key in the ignition? If so then you have a fault. If it's just flashing slowly when you lock it, then it does that. It won't flatten your battery (at least not for months)

Best of luck with your recovery

Back