Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

key wont turn in ignition barrel and get home fix

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
jumped in the car this morning and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition, wiggled the steering wheel whilst turning the key etc and still no good. two hours later and a blister developing on my index finger still no luck.

plan B.

now to remove the ignition barrel you turn the key to the ACC position and push a metal pin up that's underneath the barrel, the barrel and key will then slide out of the housing. simple. the obvious problem being that my key wouldn't turn at all. I had been trying everything for two hours so I got my claw hammer out of the back and hit the key whilst it was still in the ignition, at this point I wasn't shy with it and on the second blow the key flipped round to the ACC position! so pressed the metal pin in and removed the ignition barrel.

got the barrel in the house and whilst messing with it the key flipped back and wouldn't turn again, hit it with the hammer and it freed it again. now confident I did this on several occasions and it worked each time.

now this is all well and good, but ive no tobacco left and the shops at least a five minute walk away.

so looking at the barrel, at manufacture the tumbler is inserted through the front of the barrel and then has a face plate sort of riveted on. I prised and snapped this off with the hammer and screw driver, its only cast so doesn't take too much effort. once this was removed, and after removing the circlip on the back end of the tumbler I could get the tumbler out through the front and and remove the levers. most of these will drop out with a good shake.

20170114_130541.jpg

the pin that you press in can be seen on the lower left. levers have been removed.

20170114_130554.jpg

20170114_131912.jpg

now the key, and anything else for that matter, will turn freely.
20170114_132240.jpg

I slid the barrel back in and was good to go.
at least I can get around now until my new keys and barrel arrive.

my missus had a 96 rav4 and I had to do this on her car too. its the key that wears and some times a new key will sort things. the levers can be freed off with a good clean, especially the door locks as these can become corroded, ive even took all of the levers out of the ravs corroded tumbler and inserted them into another tumbler that wasn't corroded.

anyway, ill change the whole lot with new then its good for another twenty years...

Last edited:
I had this with the door CG. After removing the tumbler with the key in I found one or two levers were causing the problem. I simply removed them which gave access without much loss of security. Sometimes the end of the key gets bent. Especially when used as a screwdriver :whistle:. This stops the key going right in, which the hammer solved.

ive done just the same with the rav, on one lock I think em was left with one lever left in the tumbler, just for piece of mind..

I would say this could pretty much happen to anyone at any time with original key, ignition barrel and door locks at the age they are at.

I agree. I immediately went and got a spare key cut. I don't use the door locks as it's on the alarm via central locking but both the lock barels wouldnt accept the key which had worn in the ignition.

Unsure what people use in the UK for lubing the locks? I use graphite powder, yes you must wipe the key a few times after using the lock to stop the stuff transferring to your clothes but, it is better than any of the wet lubes which allow dust and pocket fluff to accumulate.

And of course restoring faith in the reparability of older car:

When in doubt, give it a clout, if your not sure, hit is some more!

regards

Dave

Back