Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KIWI 1HDFTE I6 24v SOHC Turbo EFI owner

Pierre Kickhefer

Country Flag
new_zealand
Gidday all from Christchurch NZ , this is only my second post since I purchased my 100 series.
I purchased it principally to tow my boat with long distance (which in NZ could be up to 8 hrs not much longer)
Had some initial hassles, but I was backed up by the car dealer till issues were resolved.
One I would like to share, as it may help somebody is that the engine light kept coming on.
I should point out that the truck is a Japanese import me being the first NZ owner.
Frustratingly there was nothing wrong with the truck it ran beautifully ,but why did the engine light keep coming on ?
Over a frustrating 2 month period and some thousands of dollars in time and genuine Toyota parts spent (not out of my pocket luckily) the issue was finally resolved by fitting a genuine $18.00 plastic vacuum unit the size of a large coin maybe 30mm in diameter. I will attempt to post a picture of the offending article along with a shot of the truck. Even one of the local Toyota agencies could not find the fault.
A local hot shot auto electric/electronics firm diagnosed and also adjusted the ECU as they though it was to sluggish pretty quick now for a three ton missile.

After all that long windedness can anybody recommend a good oil and does this engine have a DPF filter as apparently it matters in the choice of oil.

happy Landcruisering all Pierre

20190221_185513.jpg 20181007_095041.jpg

Hi Pierre,
Welcome to the forum. Nice truck you’ve got there. Good job it wasn’t you that was paying for all your garage’s failed diagnoses. Don’t think I’d be using them for future repairs if they just change parts until the problem goes.

If your boat goes anywhere near salt water you’ll be making sure you hose off the truck after every visit underneath. Probably be good to have a read through on here about rust proofing as the hundees aren’t that well protected and now’s the time to do it while it’s mint from Japan.

Good to have you aboard.

Best wishes
Rich

Last edited:
Welcome Pierre another 100 owner id say good truck but think you could do with untangling that winch rope

Hi Pierre,
Welcome to the forum. Nice truck you’ve got there. Good job it wasn’t you that was paying for all your garage’s failed diagnoses. Don’t think I’d be using them for future repairs if they just change parts until the problem goes.

If your boat goes anywhere near salt water you’ll be making sure you hose off the truck after every visit underneath. Probably be good to have a read through on here about rust proofing as the hundees aren’t that well protected and bows the time to do it while it’s mint from Japan.

Good to have you aboard.

Best wishes
Rich
Thanks Rich, and yes we go to the Marlborough Sounds all the time so good idea about the rust proofing.
Having said that the bum of the cruiser gets water blasted along with the boat every time we come home.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Congrats with one of the best cars ever. What year is your cruiser, and what/where is that part?

The 1HD-FTE is easy on the oil, for a diesel. Any good quality synthetic will do. Just make sure the EGR doesn't kill your engine by clogging up the intake pipe and manifold.

Back