Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

knocking noise

harpo

Country Flag
uk
Hi i have a landcruiser 80 i have been using it to tow which it does great , theres a few issues with it and a noise from the drive train or play in the ujs on the prop I believe also the rear locker is not locking which I intend to sort out but my problem which iam trying to get to grips with at the moment is when i have it on full lock theres a knocking noise when moving I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows what it is and could it be related to the other issues . Many thanks

Excellent advice from @Gav missin

A great 'get you by' trick is to purchase a couple of tubes of 'one shot' from Land Rover, it is CV grease and it is a little runny for sure, but it will get into your CV and should help with the knocking noise, another often unknown trick that may help and save a few quid is swapping the CV's from side to side as they wear on the 'thrust' side, you may need get new clips for inside the CV's as you have to remove the CV from the shaft and they can break, it may be considered a lot of work but versus the cost of a good quality CV may be an option, try the 'one shot' and pour one tube in each side and see how you go, bar undoing the fill plug at the top/front of the CV housing and pouring in the grease may well keep you out of trouble for awhile, as as per @Gav missin the joint will take road use without issues.

Regards

Dave

Your welcome, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here, and as I am unsure of your mechanical knowledge you may want to see if you can get someone local to help you if you think you cannot do more than the grease idea....sorry Spain is not local. :)

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Dave
I will have a look now I have been pointed in the direction there are a few jobs underneath to do , none of them serious i.e ujs on the prop which is not bad but some play and the cv one . I also have an issue with the rear locker not engaging . I haven’t had it long but they seem pretty good to work on . Yes its good on here for getting info .
Cheers Chris

Agree they are relatively straightforward but parts can be expensive, both new and secondhand, shop around and ask on the forum, some members are breakers and some simply have a couple of cars they are taking apart for their own use, this of course allows them to sell off parts to recoup some costs of buying the breaker.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
One trick is to swap the CV's between sides.
This places the force on the opposite side of the CV balls and cup.
Not a permanent fix but can shut the clicking up for some miles while you budget new ones.

Back