Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knocking sound advice

Zavian

Country Flag
kenya
Hi I’m an owner of a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150 TZG 2012 model 4L petrol ex Japan and I have had this car for a year.

I’ve had this knocking sound coming from the bottom on severe corrugation and rough roads. After consulting numerous mechanics including Toyota Kenya and changing several parts nobody has managed to pinpoint the issue.

I have converted my suspension from the stock Active Height Control (AHC) to Monroe shocks and King Springs to be better suited to our roads.

I initially had the Dobinsons suspension (from which the knocking sound was also coming) and changed to Monroe for a more comfortable ride however the knocking sound still remains.

I changed the following as advised:

Lower control arm bushes

Lower ball joints

NEW Steering rack fitted

Stabilizer link bushes

Brand new suspension - converted from AHC to standard suspensions (Monroe) both shocks and springs

Brand new BF Goodrich AT ko2 tyres

After changing all of the above the knocking sound is still there

All body parts and other components have been tightened.

This Sound persistently comes on severe corrugation (louder downhill) and on rough roads. On smooth roads car is silent.

What could possibly be the issue?

Any help would be highly appreciated

I would check for
Broken or worn engine and transmission mounts, upper control arms, exhaust hangers and condition of exhaust, condition of bash plates , cracks under lip of wheel arch.

Thank you so much for your reply. All the above has been checked as in good condition.
Knocking sound is still there however

Maybe of you could get a video of the sound it may help us narrow it down.

ok I’ll def try get a video and hope that will help. I also get this vibration sensation on the steering wheel while driving through rough or bumpy roads. I feel it maybe related to the knocking sound I’m hearing from the front

Back