Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knocking sound from the rear when car is not loaded

Mons

Country Flag
norway
Hi, I have some problems with a noise in the rear of my 1998 toyota lancruiser 90 series. It is a knocking sound that is presenet mostly on extension of the suspension when driving overt potholes or bumps. With a full car with a trunk full of luggage the sound disappears unless I drive over extremely bigg bumps.

Thanks for any answers.

Assuming everything looks good and solid underneath then its a fair bet your exhaust is tapping somewhere .

I would have a look at the top mounting points for the rear shock absorbers.
And so would I. Also check all the rear bushes on the trailing arms/ axle and the axle itself. The back doors are known to knock if there is play in the hinges.

+1 for the shock top mount.. I has one pull through its own bushing and knock like that.. easy fix.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+2 for the rear shock top mount. My n/s had completely rotted out and banged like hell when going over bumps. My local mechanic rebuilt them so hopefully be ok for the remaining life of the truck.

I had the threaded rod at the top of the shock snap clean off on one of mine. Easy fix, the other side was in poor condition as well so worth checking.

Back