Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knocking Sound in Engine Bay?

sparcdoc

Country Flag
united_states
Hi guys,

New to the forum here so apologies in advance for any rules I may be overlooking. I have a 96 Landcruiser that recently had its head gasket fixed. I was chugging up a hill and the next thing I knew, there was oil all over under the hood and white smoke coming out and the car stopped. Took it to the shop and they replaced the head gasket and it runs fine now but the only issue I have now is that there is a knocking sound coming from the engine block.

On a cold start, there's no knocking sound. But as the engine warms up, the knocking gets louder until it plateaus at a certain volume. Any thoughts on what's going on?

Something very serious on one cylinder. Not valve gear so must be big end knock or piston hitting cylinder head.

did the shop not take it for a test drive after completion of the work?

you stated the vehicle stopped when the gasket let go. the only thing i can think of is one cylinder has hydro locked, causing valve,rod,piston or crank damage.

Hi, you could try pulling a ht lead off one at a time and narrow it down to a cylinder.
It could be that they skimmed the head a little too much if it was bent? It could be a piston hitting the head?
This would make sense with the heat bringing it on, a big end would be constant and also quiet on idle?

Thank you all for your inputs. I suspect there might be a damaged cylinder. The shop did take it on a test drive but I guess they didn't drive it long enough to hear the knocking sound since the engine hadn't completely warmed up.

I'll be taking it back in to have a 2nd go at it. Appreciate the help. Cheers!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With respect, I suggest you use a different garage - ideally one with someone who has worked on older trucks.

Back