Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knocking/ticking 1hdt

Neptune101

Country Flag
uk
New member here!

My 91 80 series 1hdt has started knocking/ticking between 1200-1800 rpm while under light load only, recently had the injectors and pump rebuilt.

Beb have been done also and this hasn't effected the noise,

Anyone experienced something similar?

Neptune

This was covered a good while back. Have you recently changed grade of oil. Can't remember which but I believe a thinner oil cures this. Its covered in the 80 series section somewhere. Someone with a better memory than mine will assist you soon I'm certain.

A knocking would be a concern.....a light ticking noise not unlike the gas ignition on a cooker under light load and normally only audible with the window down and beside a hedge/bank/wall wouldn't concern me.....they all seem to do it to a lesser or greater extent .
Some reckon changing oil helps ( I can't see why it should) , some have other theories and to the best of my knowledge not a single person has actually sussed exactly what or where the noise is or comes from..... age or mileage seem to have no affect ....people have changed turbos....done injectors and pumps , etc , etc..... not sure anyone has had an engine fail because of the noise and it never seems to get worse..... it also affects the 1HD FT so pretty sure it's not the cylinder head.... the 1HDT doesn't have EGR so it's not that .
Not aware of it happening on the 1HD FTE but that has much better sound insulation on the engine.... be interesting to fit a later FTE type double rocker cover to and FT and see if that kills the noise

Answers on a postcard please....every 1HD driver would love to know the answer to this one .

valve clearances, injector calibration. Pump timing. All effects the way they run. BEB are only one thing that makes them tick but thats a ticking time bomb so as long as they are done you will be ok. hope you used new rod bolts.

1hdfte will make the noise if they are wrong. just to a lesser extent due to combustion pressure rise rate. you are right though all the 1hd family do this to a greater or lesser extent. including my 1hdft, but to be fair thats due its tappets and injectors to be done @270k

Rocker cover on the FTE won't fit an FT.
Old bolts can be measured as per FWSM and if in tolerance use again, but measurement is essential.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for all the replies,

Yes new genuine bolts used for the BEBs,

Injector pump was timed up as per FSM so should be spot on,

I'll try wizz the rocker cover off and check the clearances next,

And the noise is between 1200-1800rpm only and can be heard in the cab on a open road, definitely louder then a gas hob clicker unfortunately. Rest of the rev range, including idle, is nice and smooth

Also running the same grade and viscosity oil as always, but recently changed brands as couldn't get the old stuff anymore

Mine was doing it intermittently when I bought it 16yrs ago with 47k on the clock. It's now done 130k and it still does it.

This is interesting my !Hd-FTE has just developed this noise, a real head scratcher.

Back