Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Krown or Dinitrol

Matthew1955

Country Flag
wales
Just trying to look ahead to when I finally find the LC I want.
I will be intending to treat the underside as soon as I am able once I get the car home so out of the two Krown or Dinitrol which one would be best to prevent/treat rust or am I looking at two different products doing two different jobs?
Thanks

Slow down further development with Lanolin Oil - Krown/Lanotec/FluidFilm.

I've had mine done with Krown. It's still on there a year on and Canadians seem to give it good reviews. Time will tell I guess.
I did a thread on here somewhere about the application which seemed very thorough taking 3hrs. Seemed pretty reasonable costwise too.

Krown seem to be looking for more locations as my local restoration welding shop has been approached to be an agent, Southampton area, I have volunteered my 80 if he wants to practice :dance:

Perhaps an older 60 would be a bigger challenge to practice on Paul!!

The worst rust is in areas you cant see so not much pointing in treating what you can see as that is where there won't be a failure. Rust is worse inside the sills and bottoms of the wings. This is on any old car not just LC's. I would use engine oil and fill up/drain. uHu recommends lanolin oil. If this is not water soluble and does not dry out I agree.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It pains me to say it but all the old farmers swear by spraying on old engine oil. A farmer uses our ramps once a year to spray his p reg landrover. It does seem to work..

The Krown guys certainly misted/sprayed into every channel, cill and orifice they could get into IIRC and you can watch them doing it up close. If you want to of course. They encourage it.

I remember much debate a while ago about using old engine oil. Not too sure of the right or wrong of it, but the general consensus was that it was better to use fresh oil as the contaminants in the used tended to be acidic. Less mucky too if it's from a diesel.

Conversely I'm inclined to disagree with that flint because oil has no rust proofing properties other than to deny air getting at the metal , new oil lubricates but old oil sticks .

When a mates fishing boat sank he painted all the bare steel gear which had spent most of its life in salt water with old engine oil and it was abandoned at the quayside for maybe 4 years without it notably perishing .

Might test old v new if i can find a bit of scrap metal just out of curiosity .

I had mine done with Dinitrol about 6 years ago (by a professional) and its still there and looking good.

I have no experience with Krown but would definitly recommend Dinitrol if thats the route you go down

I've had mine done with Krown. It's still on there a year on and Canadians seem to give it good reviews. Time will tell I guess.
I did a thread on here somewhere about the application which seemed very thorough taking 3hrs. Seemed pretty reasonable costwise too.
I did see your thread Starcruiser and certainly looked very good.

If you're planning to go to the AO show later this month they may be there as that's where I saw them last year. If you're interested you could always give them a ring and ask Edgar. It may even be on their website.

I think the current wisdom says to use Lanolin based oils, Krown or Fluid Film. It creeps better than mineral oil, and sticks better too. After a treatment you can actually see it creeping out from under the car and up the sides. And people will turn their heads to look for the sheep for the first couple of weeks.

I think the current wisdom says to use Lanolin based oils, Krown or Fluid Film. It creeps better than mineral oil, and sticks better too. After a treatment you can actually see it creeping out from under the car and up the sides. And people will turn their heads to look for the sheep for the first couple of weeks.

Next time someone complains about the smell in my car I'll tell them it's just been treated with Krown :)

On top of great value and product Krown in Dudley are extremely accommodating and nice people to do business with.

The crumbling Modernist zoo nearby is worth a visit while Robert does his work and the Station Hotel will put you up for £27 if you get stranded which happened to me not long ago.

Back