Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ 73 Overheating Issues

If you're running rich you will produce high EGT's. This will either be down to injectors or injector pump pushing too much fuel in, or the turbo boosting too low. Both would equate to loads of black smoke out the back which is what you describe. Throw on a boost gauge and see how much you're reading. Easiest way it to take a T off the manifold side where the MAP sensor is.

Would the fact that I'm at 1100m account for much difference? Obviously there's about 1.5% less oxygen than at sea level...

I'll get a boost gauge anyway they're cheap enough and probably handy. Cheers for the reply.

Loco cant see that much altitude being a problem unless you got outback temp of above 40 degrees as suggested earlier remove the themo fan fit an electric fan you could do maybe 2 or 3 flushes in the cooling system check ALL of your hoses as there might be scale build up in some or just renew you could change to EVANS WATERLESS COOLENT got some good write ups from racing teams not too sure about your truck but do you have a heater in the back and are the heater control valves working and fully open and when refilling the cooling system make sure you have the front end slightly uphill to aid the trapped air escaped from the system Basic but thats all ive got in the way of help a thought does the over heating happen when you are down with the mortals rather than up with the gods where you live :sunglasses:

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply and thought's on my problem. I don't have a heater in the back. I'll investigate the heater functions though.

All pipes are clear and though the big ones appear a bit soft they seem strong enough to not collaps. I've done a couple of flushes in both directionsand put new coolant in. Good tip about the uphill filling though.

Most of our driving is up here at altitude, but we have been lower a few times and still found overheating to be an issue on the freeway at speeds over 110kmh, though we noticed it always happened with revs over 3000 rpm rather than at a specific speed.

Back now and hopefully get some good weather to get things put back together.

Just wondering about the half moon (semi Circular plug) for the cam, does that need some kind of gasket cement there for sealing?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For anyone looking in the future I found it in the manual eventually - Seal packing - Part No.08826-00080 or equivalent.

So eventually it's all back together and tested.

New 76 deg thermostat, 60ml of 7000 cls silicon oil in the fan, resurfaced and pressure tested head.

Tested yesterday on a big snowy mountain, got up no bother with a very loaded truck temp gauge didnt go over half. So very pleased with that.

Thanks for all your help!

Next I'll look at why it's pulling to the right slightly with a bit of play in the wheel, maybe when it's not -25C though. Hopefully it just needs it's geometry sorting.

Back