Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ120 - Cuts out when attempting to start

AdventureWagon

Supporter
Country Flag
australia
Just a repair report on my mate's 2005 KZJ120 (Australian domestic market, automatic, 201,000km) Prado - complaint was when turning key on to RUN the car behaved fine with glow plugs running and accessories initialising, however after waiting for the glow plugs and turning the key to START the whole vehicle would die including all accessories etc.

Inspected it and noticed the positive battery terminal was loose. Think it had worked up the slightly conical battery terminal.

Had only very few tools with me but scraped the crud off the battery post with a screwdriver and also cleaned up the terminal, reattached whilst making sure it was firmly seated on the post, and then all was good, started first time. Interestingly the clock and radio kept their memories (and the radio didn't need a code) however this did reset the trip counters.

Well done for spotting a simple problem and not starting looking for something major. Great troubleshooting :thumbup: :clap:
It’s all too easy to go off searching for something more major and miss the simple stuff.

Was good to help out a colleague and save them a few bucks even if it was in the work car park! Looking at Prado point it seems to have happened to a few people with the KZJ120 though I guess it probably happens on most vehicles.

Back