Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ78 auto gearbox oil filter ( 1995 Prado 3.0 litre. )

Past it

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi, just joined and need advice ,anyone? My LWB monster has just decided to get confused as to when to change up a gear. ( revs 3000 clocking 40 mp).. Plan to change the auto gearbox oil but my garage tells me to first buy a gasket and filter. Does anyone know what this is on my Prado ( perhaps a workshop manual picture?) Thanks . I do have a 2 year restoration project on my Toyota BJ42 written up on IH8mud if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 35
Hello - welcome to the forum. I have a 95 with the same engine as yours but I don’t know if the transmission is the same. My transmission is A343F (you’ll find your transmission code on the ID plate) but the filter type depends on the model year, so be careful to get right one. Often, there is no separate gasket for the filter or the transmission pan (pan usually uses a cure-in-place sealant).
You could first try changing the fluid without changing the filter. You’ll be able to assess the condition of the fluid. Do you know when it was last changed? Hope that helps.

Where the trans fluid enters the cooler in the base of the radiator.... this is where you drain the atf and you refill it through the exit pipe from the base of the radiator.

If you use clear pipe to do this you will see the colour change from dark to red then you have successfully changed the fluid.

Good to change/clean the strainer in the base of the also but fresh fluid will help you out in seeing the condition of the trans. Hope the info helps..

Thanks Beastride for the model year warning. It matters because an idiot wrote off my first 70 series and I had the engine put into my second 70. Having already learnt enough about changing the strainer on this forum I have decided to do the job myself. I can lay up the car to ensure I get the right part. The strainer has never been changed.

Hi Iwan, so the atf goes thro' a cooler under the radiator. Just shows you how little I know. Any tips on how I refill the fluid into the base of the atf cooler? Plastic pipe and funnel?

I believe that the fluid is pumped so a pipe placed into the atf container will draw the fluid out of the can into the system.

Stop the engine when the feed container is empty and replace with a new full can etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What state is the atf fluid?

The kzte box cools via the lower part of the rad (well, technically it uses the rad to heat the transmission quicker) and there is a tendency for the top part of the rad which contains engine coolant and is pressured, to force its way into the atf section if the rad deteriorates. A symptom can be erratic gear changing. If you take a look on the dipstick, ideally the fluid will be a nice dark red but probably brown - what you dont want to see is strawberry milkshake! Also, have a sniff, burnt toast smell (yep, really) is a sign of burnt clutchs in box.

A radiator swap is a good piece of preventative maintenance, somewhere around the 100-120k mark.

To prevent the mixing issue, you could run the gearbox through an aftermarket cooler rather than the radiator, the downside to this though is that the radiator does warm the atf up in cold weather.

Thanks guys for all your superior knowledge but I have to confess I chickened out in the end and got my local garage to change the oil and clean the strainer. (Blame the weather and my age). I haven't had time to test it yet but I'll let you know.

Back