Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ95 Glow Plug heater timer

majic79

Hello chaps, been going through basic diagnosis and I've come to the conclusion that something's not right with my KZJ95 - it does start if I crank it for a while (10-20 seconds or so) but I would expect it to start a lot sooner than that.I'm quite competent when it comes to electrickery, so I'm looking for a wiring diagram ('97 R plate KZJ95) and also component locations - now I did find some references to general export models with a heater timer on toyodiy, however when I punch up the details for my model ( 97 MY, RHD, Auto, 5 door) then that part doesn't exist!Are the glow plugs ECU controlled? Can anyone point me in the right direction to the bit that breaks? If it requires some work (new components soldering etc) then it's well within my abilities! Chars!

After reading up a bit more, I'm beginning to think that my lazy starting issue is related to air in the fuel lines - seeing as the replacement pickup tubes don't appear too expensive, I'll see if I can get to them to inspect - is my local dealership the only option for a replacement part? or is anyone doing an aftermarket alternative?

Cheers

I was worried th eother day as I cant recall seeing a glo plug heater light when I first put the ignition on, although it starts first time instantly. I really had a good look when it was started next, and my glo plug does light, but only for a fraction of a second. I am hoping all is well? Things are cooling down a bit now, so I might see more of it!
Steve

same story here - last diesel I had would light up for several seconds (Peugeot 205!) before cranking. Managed to find a 1KZ-TE manual that indicates the proper sequence, however it's specific to the Hilux-Surf 3.0TD, but made me wonder if perhaps the water temp sender needs replacing, as an open circuit may be seen as high temps and drop the on times for the glow plugs.

Anyway, the car is 15 years old, so I reckon the pickup tubes are probably corroded and worth replacing - it certainly needs a few cranks before it fires (and doesn't seem to hesitate or smoke once it's caught, so it seems to me that fuel is the missing component - cold diesels usually spit out white smoke if the glowplugs haven't come on and fuels' mixing without lighting)

Last edited:
I think it has been mentioned before either here or on the other side that the glow plug light is only to show that they are working. as opposed to showing when the plugs are up to temperature.

Chris

yarp - I checked the voltages, and they're behaving much as you'd expect (at all stages in the circuit - haven't checked the water temp sender, but I don't fancy buying more coolant so I can pop it out to test) so I'm leaning towards fuel being the problem.

Main bit of confusion is regarding the timer circuit - I find references in various manuals and internet posts, but I can't actually find a timer circuit as a seperate item in the parts list - is it an ECU function on my (UK) car? or is it a proper discrete timer unit? And if so, where the hell is it? Not that it's too important, I'll just drop the tank and replace the tubes...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back