Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

kzj95 wheel alignment

ricfree

Country Flag
australia
Hi everyone, I brought a 97 prado KZJ95 grey import last july had 4 new tyres and drove very well, took it to get a rwc in august was told it needed new lower ball joints and they fitted them but put the wheel alignment way out, they took it and got it realigned but it scrubbed the tyres out in a week they put two new tyres on and realigned it but it still felt wrong so I took it to another place, told it was way out, tyres are now stuffed after under 7000kms fethered across both front tyres, tyres screech around round abouts and when towing a trailer front tyres screech, I have had it on stands and cannot find any movement in the front end, does anyone know the correct settings for a KZJ95 prado

There's no alignment adjust on the rear axle so i wonder if the panhard and trailing arm bushes need replacing and the rear axle isn't running true it might confuse the computer ?

There's no alignment adjust on the rear axle so i wonder if the panhard and trailing arm bushes need replacing and the rear axle isn't running true it might confuse the computer ?
Hi, all rear bushes have been replaced

Changing the lower ball joint shouldn't have changed your alignment. They must have adjusted the tie rod ends upon removal and didn't put them back correctly. Hate crap work like this.

Also what kind of lower ball joints did you use? Most people say stick to OEM for this and I agree for this specific part. I've seen many aftermarket units fail quickly.,.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Changing the lower ball joint shouldn't have changed your alignment. They must have adjusted the tie rod ends upon removal and didn't put them back correctly. Hate crap work like this.

Also what kind of lower ball joints did you use? Most people say stick to OEM for this and I agree for this specific part. I've seen many aftermarket units fail quickly.,.
they got them at repco and they cost over 400 for both

Are you in Australia? if so it seems expensive unless it includes fitting, my daughter is constantly ripped off with her car in Aus.
Geometry wouldn't change with new ball joints so you must have something else set up incorrectly, not wishing to teach you to suck eggs but is the centre diff inadvertently locked, or even a front diff locked? I believe the Japanese and Australian Prados may have a front diff lock fitted.

Last edited:
hmm you can pick up genuine LBJ for around $350 USD, not sure what that works out in AUS but I believe it's close to the $500 mark.

No 90 series prado's were ever fitted with a front diff lock

problem finally solved, when the ball joints were replaced for some reason the lower wish bones were pushed way down and it F'ed the bushes but does not explain why the toe in was a mile out, will never recommend anyone to the same place

Sounds like they torqued it up with the truck in the air and the suspension hanging down rather than with the weight on the wheels which is more normal for suspension (note I have not done this job on an LC and I do know occasionally some manufacturers state the arm must be held at a specific angle for tightening such as a Daihatsu I did the other week although it would have been the same if not similar angle to weight on wheels).
Hope you can get some redress from the dodgy garage.
If the tear in the bush was more at one end than the other, the forces on the wheel especially when driving could push the bolt out of alignment and also the wheel. Even rips are more likely to be a camber error as it would flop over the same font to back of the wheel.

Back