Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lack of drive after ATF change

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
I just changed the transmission fluid and filter. Put it all back together again, I HAVE NO GEARS.

It wont go into reverse or drive. What have i done wrong, have i forgotten something. I have no leaks, there was a few air bubbles come out when re filling, but nothing out of the ordinary.

You haven't knocked the transfer box into neutral have you ?

I wouldnt know how to do that. All its doing is revving, my son has managed to get it round the block, but it just wont change gear, Is there a switch or something i could have touched. All i did was change the fluid and filter, i changed the fluid last week and there was no issue, today, its all turned to crap.

I don't know your truck at all but i thought the 105 had a manual gearbox , if so it will have two gearsticks , the smaller one is for the transfer box so you can select high or low gearing , it will also have a neutral gear which effectively disconnects your gearbox altogether .

its 2.44am here in the UK where the majority of forum members are so you may have to wait a while for a more educated answer

No its a 4 speed auto box. I have tried everything i can think of,. I can get 2nd and third but when you put it in drive it just revs. The same in reverse it revs, then jumps into gear, then jumps out. I have never seen anything like this in any car.

Yrs mine has two gear sticks as well. It also has a dif locker.

Right the only time i've seen something similar was an auto 80 that got drowned in a lake , i thought the clutch had gone because it lost all drive , it wasn't my truck but we were all on holiday together and from what i recall simply flushing the gearbox of water with several oil changes brought it back to life . As you've not been near water i can only suggest you check the oil level , put too much in - you can always let it out again once drive returns .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You did check the smaller gearstick is locked in H ? in fact try it in low and they put it back in H

Doing a bit of googling there might be 15 litres of oil in the auto gearbox ?

Vague skimming through articles most about auto 80's quickly it seems measuring what you take out is the best way of knowing how much to put back in .

Is there a clutch reservoir on an auto ?

I changed the clutch fluid on my 90 and had the same no drive nightmare which wouldn't bleed out until i loosed a pipe beneath the reservoir letting the air trapped in pipework escape upwards .

Don't panic anyway its not broken you just need someone who knows auto boxes to reply .

Yep done all that. The oil level is fine, all the read outs are as per the manual it just revs and jumps into and out of gear, honestly, i have never seen anything like this before. Drive it round the block and it wont go into drive, it will go into 2nd and 3rd, im stumped guys and its all cause i changed the oil, i must have touched something, but what i dont know.

Just to let you know, the 105 series is based on the 80 series but with some mods, like the suspension, apart from that, and the fact i have nicer seats, its pretty much the same.

Hi
I changed the oil and filter on my 100 series auto, it did not drive properly for maybe 10 miles, seemed like there was air in the system that took some time to work it's way out after that it was fine.

Can you get ait in the trans system, i did notice when i was putting the fluid in, that it bubble out a bit. Could it be something that simple.

How about loosening the plug allowing it to drip and topping up with the engine running , maybe it will pull the air out of lines that way ?

I think i have solved the problem, i may, and i say may, not have put enough fluid in. I never took into account the filter, which does have some in. I thought i had put in 6 litres, but i only put in 4. I added some more and the gears started to change as they should. I am still a litre short, so when the shops open tomorrow, i will get some more.

As i said i think this is the problem as when driven i know have all the gears, a bit of clunk when changing, but its going away. I hope this is the problem. Will keep you guys informed of my adventures in Cruiser country.

When you refill an auto box you also need to refill the torque converter and the valve body.
There is a procedure to follow but I do not know it as I have never replaced the oil in an auto box.

Hi Mike, as Shayne says, don’t panic.

It will either resolve itself, or someone will be oblong with sensible suggestions.

I’m not familiar with auto boxes either, but there’s plenty on here who are.

Clearly the volume of transmission fluid is critical and it sounds that maybe you haven’t put in quite enough, but it’s probably as important not to overfill. When I played with @Chas auto when he was here, I found it very difficult to be sure what the level should be.

Hold tight till you get some thought-out replies.

By the way, did you receive my PM? Have a look in your inbox top right of the screen.

Its low on transmission fluid that's all .. did you measure how much came out?

And put the same amount back in

The only thing wrong now is there is a bit of a clunk when going into 4th. I intend to change the diff fluid tomorrow. What i have found so far is the person who owned this truck before should have had their what nots cut off, or should i say if their gender requires a de bollocking.

You have to cycle through the gears at standstill and keep topping it up.

I think you should really pay someone to look after your cruiser if you need it to be reliable.

Back