Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lacking power in my 92 FJ 80

Spacekase2990

Country Flag
united_states
I recently bought a 92 lancruiser and right away I am having issues.. it seems to be lacking some serious power, it’s struggling uphill and is taking a long time to get up to speed/accelerate ,even on the highway.. for starters the speedometer is off by about 10 mph .. I had a new tranny put in, changed the fuel filter, and did some routine maintenance but it still seems unusually slow. Especially uphill. Any suggestions? I was thinking possibly the fuel sock? Maybe the catalytic converter or some other exhaust issue.. it just doesn’t feel like enough air/gas exchange

Last edited:
Had a similar issue with mine (97) when I bought it. Felt exactly like you're describing -almost like a blocked catalyst. Solved with a new O2 sensor - goes like a dream now......give it a try.......I assume you've checked all the other obvious stuff like air filter, MAF sensor, binding brakes etc

thanks Jon_Tallis.. O2 sensor is one of the things i had thought too ,especially after doing the fuel filter..air filter etc..... I had the Cruiser shipped out to Hawaii where i live and it should get here Today!...Time to start figuring this out. I drove it from Denver to seattle and it did ok considering the lack of power but i didnt have enough time or tools on the road to dive in. Im really hoping i can get this problem solved quick so i can move on with some other fun upgrades.

you sure you havnt got a 3FE under the bonnet?

Back