Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 200 Cancelled!

br1anuk

Has anybody else heard the rumour that Toyota USA is cancelling the North American 200 due to poor sales?

From ICON 4X4

Could this be true??? Just heard from @jonnylieberman that Toyota has decided to cancel the Land Cruiser in America due to low sales. Low sales??? Maybe they mean due to neglect, as they have not marketed it nor listened to what people want from this iconic platform for decades! Probably better business to try and sell more high margin models, but a horrible marketing move and a massive FAIL for brand tribal loyalists. Let’s see if we can shame them into reconsidering! @akiotoyoda_official how could this happen under your watch, my friend? The longest running model, sold since 1958 here, and they stopped advertising and marketing it decades ago. Just kept taking it farther and farther from its roots, adding more plastic, wood and leather...Now they wonder why sales are low??? Imagine if they did simple trim models, with durable surfaces and all of the exceptional capability and quality. Seems like it could have gone differently. Hey @Toyota , at least let me get my hands on the last 1000 units. I’ll build you ICON Editions and show you how this should have played out. Friends, if you are as pissed as I am, speak your mind and spread the word!

Looks like they are phasing the 200's out everywhere.

We can't get 200 in the UK either .....
In the UK if you want a Toyota to tow stuff you only have one option .....personal import .
The UK Hilux can tow 3500 kg but is part time 4x4 so has no centre diff and winds up badly in 4WD if used on tarmac ......
The UK spec Landcruiser's we can buy can't even tow 3500kg's so we are stuffed......only other options are to run 80 or 100 series until they die .....
Both only have 4 cylinder engines
And do Toyota UK care ? not at all .....I get the distinct impression they don't think 4x4's fit the image Toyota UK want to project .

Mind you ....
If they stop the 70 and 75 series most wars in Africa and the Middle East will also stop for lack of reliable technicals ;-)

The UK spec Landcruiser's we can buy can't even tow 3500kg's so we are stuffed......

Yes, this is a shame. If the recent utility version could tow 3500kgs, they might be more attractive to a wider audience.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
fake news, toyota have stated they have no plans to phase out the landcruiser in USA

We can't get 200 in the UK either .....
In the UK if you want a Toyota to tow stuff you only have one option .....personal import .
The UK Hilux can tow 3500 kg but is part time 4x4 so has no centre diff and winds up badly in 4WD if used on tarmac ......
The UK spec Landcruiser's we can buy can't even tow 3500kg's so we are stuffed......only other options are to run 80 or 100 series until they die .....
Both only have 4 cylinder engines
And do Toyota UK care ? not at all .....I get the distinct impression they don't think 4x4's fit the image Toyota UK want to project .
Why would you use it in 4wd on tarmac?

Why would you use it in 4wd on tarmac?
Have you never towed a decent weight trailer up a tarmac hill with mud and water on it ? or tried reversing same trailer up a mud covered slope or even just wet or snowy roads ....permanent 4WD with a viscous centre diff makes it effortless , try doing that with a pickup truck in 4WD and no centre diff it hops about all over the place as the trans winds up then releases ......Hilux is a good pick up it just isn't heavy or man enough to be boss of 3500 kg plus in adverse conditions ......it only has a rear LSD or locker .

You don't need 4x4 on tarmac, but you do sometimes need low ratio. I wonder if the HiLux forces you to use 4x4 to get LR? I have that problem on the 120.
I've only done that for reversing trailers, saves slipping the clutch, There is a workaround for the Hilux, it was described on the HPOC forum, so you can engage low range without 4wd for reversing trailers etc. It's an electronic system to engage 4wd so it just involves a dash switch.

Have you never towed a decent weight trailer up a tarmac hill with mud and water on it ? or tried reversing same trailer up a mud covered slope or even just wet or snowy roads ....permanent 4WD with a viscous centre diff makes it effortless , try doing that with a pickup truck in 4WD and no centre diff it hops about all over the place as the trans winds up then releases ......Hilux is a good pick up it just isn't heavy or man enough to be boss of 3500 kg plus in adverse conditions ......it only has a rear LSD or locker .
Yes I have!
you aren't going to get transmission wind up on a muddy hill or snow though are you!! yes I agree about the tarmac though, it can be useful for reversing. It was a bonus when the 110 and 90s came in with the military because reversing a trailer with a series vehicle was a bastard, partly because of limited steering lock, but also because you had to slip the clutch to keep the speed down as short trailers can be quite lively to reverse. In the 90 or 110 you could put them in low range but leave the diff unlocked.
As far as I am aware the centre diff on a full time 4wd is not a viscous differential. It works the same way as a standar cross axle differential.
Without the diff lock engaged, it still only needs 1 wheel spinning to be stuck, with the centre diff locked it is just the same as a part time 4wd with 4wd engaged, i.e 2 wheels spinning, one front one back, in order to be stuck, traction control etc excepted. A Hilux, in 4wd with a rear locker, would need both rear wheels and one front spinning to be stuck, which is rather more than a fulltime 4wd with just a centre diff lock.

You don't need 4x4 on tarmac, but you do sometimes need low ratio. I wonder if the HiLux forces you to use 4x4 to get LR? I have that problem on the 120.

Humm you have a part time 4x4 on the 120? I thought it was permanent 4x4. Or am I miss understanding what you said

That's a shame - I quite liked the look of some of those.

Thanks to the others that also highlighted this.

I have a 105 that came from them, that helped start a conversation at least! But beyond that... Ding ding

I believe the 200 series LC is being discontinued in the States in 2022 due to poor sales. This is not a surprise as there are quite a few other (Toyota) options for buyers - i.e 4runner, Sequoia, Tundra plus the Lexus variants too.

I'm sure they will continue in other markets...time will tell.

Back