Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 200 Cancelled!

The landcruiser doesn’t need to be put to rest, he’s talking bollocks. The 200 maybe, but that’s not the only landcruiser.

The article is about the US market though and the 200 is the only Land Cruiser in that market. The 150 is a Lexus there.

Yes I have!
you aren't going to get transmission wind up on a muddy hill or snow though are you!! yes I agree about the tarmac though, it can be useful for reversing. It was a bonus when the 110 and 90s came in with the military because reversing a trailer with a series vehicle was a bastard, partly because of limited steering lock, but also because you had to slip the clutch to keep the speed down as short trailers can be quite lively to reverse. In the 90 or 110 you could put them in low range but leave the diff unlocked.
As far as I am aware the centre diff on a full time 4wd is not a viscous differential. It works the same way as a standar cross axle differential.
Without the diff lock engaged, it still only needs 1 wheel spinning to be stuck, with the centre diff locked it is just the same as a part time 4wd with 4wd engaged, i.e 2 wheels spinning, one front one back, in order to be stuck, traction control etc excepted. A Hilux, in 4wd with a rear locker, would need both rear wheels and one front spinning to be stuck, which is rather more than a fulltime 4wd with just a centre diff lock.

Not going to get into a disagreement but I think we operate in very different environments when it comes to towing trailers and equipment .....
The center diff on a later 80 series is both viscous (torque sensing) AND capable of being locked ........a simple mod allows full control in high or low .....then add 2 axle diff locks and an 80 series needs all 4 wheels to loose traction before getting stuck ..... as does a 105 series and a 75 series ..... something no UK available Toyota can now do :-(
I've owned several Hilux's ....my first car was a Hilux ...... not dismissing them just they are not an alternative to a proper Landcruiser in any way shape or form but that is the only vehicle Toyota GB now sell and have tried to tell me is as good

Is there any car / lgv in the UK that has a factory front diff as an option? I can only think of the Iveco Daily. Whatever Ineos end up building might too.

I’m guessing Land Rover and others (LC150?) achieve the same functionality by applying brakes to spinning wheels?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not going to get into a disagreement but I think we operate in very different environments when it comes to towing trailers and equipment .....
The center diff on a later 80 series is both viscous (torque sensing) AND capable of being locked ........a simple mod allows full control in high or low .....then add 2 axle diff locks and an 80 series needs all 4 wheels to loose traction before getting stuck ..... as does a 105 series and a 75 series ..... something no UK available Toyota can now do :-(
I've owned several Hilux's ....my first car was a Hilux ...... not dismissing them just they are not an alternative to a proper Landcruiser in any way shape or form but that is the only vehicle Toyota GB now sell and have tried to tell me is as good
That’s why I said as far as I am aware, quite willing to be corrected on the matter of the viscous diffs as I’m not that familiar with full time 4wd landcruisers, only those other full time 4wd jobbies!
Still not entirely sure why you would get transmission wind up in snow or mud though.
I think the modern Hilux equates more accurately to a prado tbh than an 80 or 100. Definitely not a 79!!

The article is about the US market though and the 200 is the only Land Cruiser in that market. The 150 is a Lexus there.
Just Americans assuming the USA is the world then :smirk:
What they need, and are clamouring for, as with this country, is the heavy duty 70 series.

We can't get 200 in the UK either .....
In the UK if you want a Toyota to tow stuff you only have one option .....personal import .
The UK Hilux can tow 3500 kg but is part time 4x4 so has no centre diff and winds up badly in 4WD if used on tarmac ......
The UK spec Landcruiser's we can buy can't even tow 3500kg's so we are stuffed......only other options are to run 80 or 100 series until they die .....
Both only have 4 cylinder engines

And do Toyota UK care ? not at all .....I get the distinct impression they don't think 4x4's fit the image Toyota UK want to project .
The 80 and the 100 either have straight 6 cylinder Diesel or V8 Petrol. not "only 4 cylinder engines"

I think maybe the 4 cylinder bit was related to the UK spec Hilux and Landcruiser. As an aside I've looked at the Hilux as a tow vehicle but the 3500kg is only achievable if I remove everything else from the vehicle and drive in my undercrackers!

I think maybe the 4 cylinder bit was related to the UK spec Hilux and Landcruiser. As an aside I've looked at the Hilux as a tow vehicle but the 3500kg is only achievable if I remove everything else from the vehicle and drive in my undercrackers!
Yes, I see your point, but it does read like the 80 and 100 have 4 cylinders motors, although people in ‘the know’ will understand.

if you ever do get a Hilux, can you let me know the VIN so that I never buy it after you’ve driven it in your ‘undercrackers’ :laughing-rolling:

Last edited by a moderator:
The 80 and the 100 either have straight 6 cylinder Diesel or V8 Petrol. not "only 4 cylinder engines"
My bad style of writing ....
Well aware how many cylinders and the cc of my 80 series engine ;-)
GuyC hit the nail on the head so to speak ...... you cannot now buy a decent 4x4 tow vehicle from Toyota in the UK .
A massive mistake on Toyota UK's part as they are now effectively out of the working 4x4 Market and TBH the proper 4x4 market in the UK .

My bad style of writing ....
Well aware how many cylinders and the cc of my 80 series engine ;-)
GuyC hit the nail on the head so to speak ...... you cannot now buy a decent 4x4 tow vehicle from Toyota in the UK .
A massive mistake on Toyota UK's part as they are now effectively out of the working 4x4 Market and TBH the proper 4x4 market in the UK .
can you buy one from any other manufacturer now a days?

can you buy one from any other manufacturer now a days?
Well..... I never said this but...... The D**very 4 is actually a good working tow vehicle .....2 guys I know run them and run them hard towing plant and haylidge bales etc .
We did a 1500 mile round trip in Holland and Belgium delivering Tank engines and picking up a 76mm gun over 3 days in a mates one (the bigger engined V6 HSE diesel 255hp I think ) and it would be difficult to beat for it's ability to eat miles and comfort ..... certainly no UK available Landcruiser can now get anywhere near this..... they can't even tow 3.5 tons . And both the one's I know of have been properly main dealer serviced but as reliable as anything else ...... one now on 170k the other at 88k miles .

Years back the prado 70 was "L" for light pussy wagon! 60 and 80 were "H" for heavy duty!

Things haven't changed! Also hilux can never be classed as HD... it's also a light pussy wagon!

It pisses me off to hear a hilux compared to the mighty HD 7x it's super heavy, infact the hardest cruiser in the pack! And it should be available to buy here now too..

properly main dealer serviced.

In my experience, thats a joke.:laughing-rolling:

properly main dealer serviced.

In my experience, thats a joke.:laughing-rolling:

Agree with the sentiment in the main ..... however having the Master Tech at the dealer as a friend helps.

Sadly all the small family run dealerships are being pushed out by the manufacturers who all want huge multi branch mega dealerships ..... to the detriment of customer care and in many case's sales but as they do away with the family run one's who thrived on good service and customer relationships the customer has no choice .

My Local Toyota Dealer became part of a "Dealer Group" a few years ago .......they had a brilliant Service reputation and even better parts staff ...... Steve and Nicky no longer work there and I no longer spend very much money with them..... they do now have someone who "greets " you at the door and guides you to a plush seating area and gives you a coffee while you wait for the parts staff to spend ages looking up the wrong parts that you eventually have to go round the counter and look up yourself .... and then wait 4 days for parts that used to come overnight or be in stock . Last time I went there despite being in an affluent rural area they didn't have a single 4x4 in the showroom .....not even a hairdressers Rav 4 ....while I waited I wandered around and didn't see a single Toyota that took my fancy .

A local Merc Dealer lost the sale of an AMG S Class recently because they wouldn't allow the saleswoman who had sold my friend his last 3 AMG's sell him the latest one because she had moved branches..... they simply didn't care .

John Deere are now doing the same thing in the AG world and pushing small family owned 1 or 2 Depot dealers out in favour of huge dealerships .......farmers are strange chaps to deal with and I can't see this being received well .

There are still exceptions to the rule. I was on a job in Ireland last month and needed new pads done at 3pm on the last Friday before Christmas. Grandon’s Toyota in Cork got the parts in and fitted them for a good price while I filled up and had lunch at the family’s petrol station and deli next door.

20A3A00B-254D-45CC-ADEF-4F53DAE49A69.jpeg

Years back the prado 70 was "L" for light pussy wagon! 60 and 80 were "H" for heavy duty!

Things haven't changed! Also hilux can never be classed as HD... it's also a light pussy wagon!

It pisses me off to hear a hilux compared to the mighty HD 7x it's super heavy, infact the hardest cruiser in the pack! And it should be available to buy here now too..

This guy isn't worth listening to after a late night's drinking! He's even got a pussy wagon in his avatar! Lol:laughing-rolling:

I don't mean it but I do prefer the HD version's to be honest!:thumbup: Sorry folk's for the rubbish I wrote!

As far as Ive heard the 300 series is soon to replace the 200.It may only come in a v6 though.

Back