Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser, 79 Series, Troopy, Switching Indicator Lights turns on Hazard Lights

Astro Cas

Country Flag
png
Hello again All,

I seem to be having a couple of electrical problems with my Landy, I’ve recently posted another one with engine temp gauge not working, now this would be another.

My problem is, that whenever I switch my right indicator lights on, it works perfectly fine, but when I switch my left indicator lights on, my hazard lights turn on as well.

Also, whenever I’ve got my key turned to IGN on the ignition, and if there’s a door open, the ‘open door’ sign illuminates on the dash and the hazard lights turn on as well. If I turn my key back to off, and have a door open, the hazard lights don’t turn on.

Again, would really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks again

The hazard light's run off ignition off power and the turn signals run off the ignition on circuit. So with the added door open/closed function which could be alarm/immobiliser based it's probably worth a look there.

The 2 main circuits are crossing over when your indicating left.. good luck with the job in hand.. and welcome to the forum...

Iwan, Thanks buddy!

I’ve been checking but have come to no avail.
Maybe an electrical diagram and a components location diagram for 79 Series Troopy would be useful but I’m still searching for a good pdf copy. You wouldn’t happen to have one on you, would ya?

Cheers Anyways
George

Landy, 79 or Troopy (78)? Either way you’ve posted a couple of electrical issues up, the temp gauge you reported back as a broken wire. I’d be suspecting rodent damage at this point.

I’ve been searching for a body wiring diagram manual for some time. No luck yet

Gr8Yota Thanks bud, I’ll try to figure something out while on the search for a helpful body wiring diagram, the troopy I’ve got is a 79 series.

I’ve recently had the engine out and suspected the wiring to the transducer must’ve been damaged during the engine removal install task.

Anywho, I’ll be updating soon

Cheers

The Troopy in your picture is a 78. The 79 is the pick up truck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe I’m missing something here about the models, could you further elaborate?? 78/79? Troopy Pickup?

Ah! Apologies mate, got my wires crossed lol, 78 Troopy it is

lol. No problem very confusing what’s what it’s the J7’s, I’ve owned them for years and still get confused by some of the older model numbers especially.

J70, 71

AB4A9D26-9392-4F35-8965-4AA2EAAD8DF3.jpeg

J73 (longer wheelbase over the J70)
109C7DB3-F695-4A81-BB77-1C7015708C34.jpeg

J76 is the ‘wagon’
FCBF16C9-6F25-44C7-B960-212C938DD76F.jpeg

J78 Troop Carrier
AADD429A-25DC-4A9E-8A4C-E28531C267D5.jpeg

J79 single and double cab pick ups
E7F122DB-A6D4-4DAE-A690-B9807AFEC79E.jpeg

And here in the UK this is a Landy..rofl
08AFE040-37F1-41BC-97E9-9BFB570926D1.jpeg

Anyway digressing from your issues!! Hope you sort them out.

Maate! Appreciate your time and effort in putting this together.

Cheers

Found the problem! Finally! Anywho, there’s like a big white junction box, just under the steering wheel, just left-top of the clutch pedal, you should have like 50 wires running through that junction, hard to miss. Found the pins inside were corroded and snapped inside the plugs. Replaced the pins and reconnected the plugs, and all the defects went away.

Back