Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land cruiser buying advice - not running (please help!)

alscott000

Country Flag
united_states
Ok so, I would very much appreciate all of the input I can get here so feel free to have at this. I have an opportunity to get an LX 470 for likely very short money (maybe a couple grand?) and there are some definite pros and cons of this truck. I do not have any pictures but I will be as descriptive as possible. Here it goes:

2004 LX 470 with only 100,209 original miles. I think we can all agree that for a 100 series in the year 2020, that is pretty low. The truck is fully loaded, and the interior is flawless.It even had its timing belt and water pump replaced at 97k miles. The exterior is a little more rough, with a scrape in the front bumper, some paint fade on the hood, and the passenger side mirror is broken. Rust underneath isn't bad. There is definitely some spots, but no rot. Overall, for 100k miles, I'd say its a pretty rare truck for only a few thousand dollars. But here's the catch...

It is not running. The story goes, in 2018 the guy used the truck to jump start another vehicle and then the LX just shut off. He had the battery and the starter replaced. With the key in the ignition, everything works. But when you turn the key, the engine makes just one quick "click" sound and that's it. It won't even turn over.

So my questions are, should I buy it? Does anyone have any idea as to what might of happened? Is it fixable? is it worth fixing? And lastly, how much should I offer him? I asked him how much he'd sell it for, and he told me to just make an offer. Him and his wife both just want it gone, which leads to me think I can get it for cheap. By the way, it has a clean title and everything.

Any input is good input. I have never owned a Land Cruiser before, but I have always admired them and know the basics. Might this be the one? I'll let you guys decide. Thanks!

Are all the fuses and fusible links in the fuse box OK?

I wouldn't think it would take too much to get going - if it was me I'd buy it!

I didn't check. I also wasn't able to check to see if it was throwing any codes.

My thinking is, these trucks were built very stout and clearly have a reputation for being dependable. So how much damage could this one guy have really done by jumping another vehicle? I guess that's why I'm here looking for answers...

I'm wondering if somehow the LC got shorted out during the jump start process, hence the possibility of fuses or fusible links blowing.

Quite often when you hear about a jump start, you don't get the full story :)

I dont think there can be much wrong with it though tbh

:text-+1:

World we live in how many mechanically good cars have gone to the knackers yard for want of a dab of solder . Hedge your bets and put it to him you will buy it intending to strip and sell the parts if you can't fix it to recover your money . Lots of sensors and connections to investigate but for reasons i can't define intuition is telling me to look at the fuel pump first ?

I totally agree with what you're saying. I didn't mention this originally, but the fuel pump is fine. When you turn the key to the run position it send fuel all the way to the engine. I pulled one of the lines off and got plenty of fuel. Im guessing its an electrical issue, especially considering he had a new starter and battery put in. Something in between must be bad. What could is be though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have to start tracing it, is the starter getting 12 volts?

I just used the forums search function for "click" and got heaps of results , when its electrical its always a process of elimination .

I'd be inclined to 'hot wire' the starter motor direct from the battery or jump pack, check the engine will actually turn over...don't turn the igntion on at this point, temporarily hot wire the low tension solenoid so the starter mechanism throws in...if you have the ignition on and the engine actually starts the chap might just say thanks a lot but think i'll keep it.
You could apply a socket spanner to the crank pully nut and turn the engine over by hand first.

As above, i suspect it got wrongly connected and has blown a relay or two during the jump start, (assuming the jump start story is the full story and the engine itself isn't seized solid), old friend of mine jump started another car with his mk 1 Laguna V6, blew the digital dash display which costs some £600 to replace back in the 90's.

Back