Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

land cruiser wheels and tyre pressures and turbo's

james ware

Country Flag
australia
folks
I have a lazy axle on my truck - 4x4 with 6 wheels. can anyone give me guidance on tyre pressures for all 6 wheels please.

is it true that the original rims and tyres give a very rough ride - my truck has the original steel rims still. will i get a better ride if i change to alloy rims - i love the current ride - just want to know if alloys will improve performance all round?

Again, i love the ride but any point in installing a turbo again for better all round performance - she only gets between 6 and 7 kilometres per litre at the moment but drives like a train - unstoppable!

Thanks all

I don't know if this will help but back in the 80s we built a 2/3rds scale Peterbilt using a lazy third axle. Originally we found the ride very hard as both axles had the original shocks (it was based on an extended A series Ford truck) so we changed all the rear shocks to adjustable gas shocks so we could optimise the ride whether as a unit or with its 36 foot trailer - empty or loaded. The new shocks had a lower rating.

Rather than it being the rims I would suggest that you may currently have 4 original rated shocks carrying a small increase in overall weight. Also worth a look at the springs a they may now be too hard.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Rodger

I don't know if this will help but back in the 80s we built a 2/3rds scale Peterbilt using a lazy third axle. Originally we found the ride very hard as both axles had the original shocks (it was based on an extended A series Ford truck) so we changed all the rear shocks to adjustable gas shocks so we could optimise the ride whether as a unit or with its 36 foot trailer - empty or loaded. The new shocks had a lower rating.

Rather than it being the rims I would suggest that you may currently have 4 original rated shocks carrying a small increase in overall weight. Also worth a look at the springs a they may now be too hard.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Rodger
cheers mate
thanks for that
appreciate it

James what is the unladen weight of your truck im guessing around 4000kgs you might get this checked or have the paperwork to confirm this also have a play with the tyre pressures if all the suspension is ok are all the tyres the same make at the least the same on each axle some better and more knowledgable members may be able to help with the pros and cons of air assisted or complete air suspension if the ride is still too harsh and if all is ok underneath

James what is the unladen weight of your truck im guessing around 4000kgs you might get this checked or have the paperwork to confirm this also have a play with the tyre pressures if all the suspension is ok are all the tyres the same make at the least the same on each axle some better and more knowledgable members may be able to help with the pros and cons of air assisted or complete air suspension if the ride is still too harsh and if all is ok underneath
thanks mate
appreciate it

The heavier your unsprung weight, the less good the ride will tend to be so running alloys should improve things. That does also bring its own set of problems if your in severe off road environments. If you’re running split rims they are bastard heavy. Normal steel wheels would be lighter.
To decide what is the best pressure, draw a chalk mark across the tread of the tyre and take a drive. When you recheck the chalk mark if it is worn in the outside, your pressures are too low, it it’s worn in the middle they are too high, if it’s evenly worn, they are about right.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The heavier your unsprung weight, the less good the ride will tend to be so running alloys should improve things. That does also bring its own set of problems if your in severe off road environments. If you’re running split rims they are bastard heavy. Normal steel wheels would be lighter.
To decide what is the best pressure, draw a chalk mark across the tread of the tyre and take a drive. When you recheck the chalk mark if it is worn in the outside, your pressures are too low, it it’s worn in the middle they are too high, if it’s evenly worn, they are about right.
thanks mate
much appreciated

Back