Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land rover happiness!!!

It's one thing manufacturing a crappy car, but they should have more business sense than to let some brake discs and a rattle on the tailgate drive a dispute to the media.

Even by Land Rover standards, lost sales due to bad publicity must outweigh £500 worth of good faith repairs a few thousand-fold.

Total incompetence, if you ask me, from beginning to the end of this story, and the many others like it.

Thats the beauty of globalization Clive it doesn't really matter because there's a 90% chance he will buy his next car from the same club even if he is determined not to .

Nice to see Toyota is investing in the UK maybe we will see some Ozzie spec vehicles here some time in the future .

"Jaguar Land Rover's attitude is that they want us to just grin and bear owning a vehicle that, we feel, is not of satisfactory quality, is not fit for purpose nor is as described"

One has to wonder why the poor fellow is surprised by this attitude. Land Rover have clearly had this policy for a very long time. I'm afraid I blame the poor misguided owner for:-

1- not doing his homework,
2- wanting to own an Ewok in the first place (I mean, for the love of God, why!!)
3- having the ordacity to expect a Land Rover to be faultless
4- expecting Land Rover to put it right
5- being taken in by the Land Rover hype
6- not buying a Toyota

The gentleman concerned is a retired engineer who is going to want things spot on, and he will look at any fault as being a major problem that needs putting right, such was his working life.

I also think that Land Rover have brought this on themselves by taking more and more of their vehicles, born of 'agricultural' beginnings and aiming them at the high end buyer. A retired engineer won't put up with problems a farmer would be too busy to worry about. With the greatest respect to engineers and farmers of course.

If more Land Rover buyers voted with their feet rather than just accepting the thing has 'character' and accepting the problems, Land Rover would have either got its act together or gone bust by now.

If I were Toyota, I think I would consider offering him a Landcruiser for an extended test drive and his review.

Last edited:
"Jaguar Land Rover's attitude is that they want us to just grin and bear owning a vehicle that, we feel, is not of satisfactory quality, is not fit for purpose nor is as described"

One has to wonder why the poor fellow is surprised by this attitude. Land Rover have clearly had this policy for a very long time. I'm afraid I blame the poor misguided owner for:-

1- not doing his homework,
2- wanting to own an Ewok in the first place (I mean, for the love of God, why!!)
3- having the ordacity to expect a Land Rover to be faultless
4- expecting Land Rover to put it right
5- being taken in by the Land Rover hype
6- not buying a Toyota

The gentleman concerned is a retired engineer who is going to want things spot on, and he will look at any fault as being a major problem that needs putting right, such was his working life.

I also think that Land Rover have brought this on themselves by taking more and more of their vehicles, born of 'agricultural' beginnings and aiming them at the high end buyer. A retired engineer won't put up with problems a farmer would be too busy to worry about. With the greatest respect to engineers and farmers of course.

If more Land Rover buyers voted with their feet rather than just accepting the thing has 'character' and accepting the problems, Land Rover would have either got its act together or gone bust by now.

If I were Toyota, I think I would consider offering him a Landcruiser for an extended test drive and his review.

Yes, I took the view that the owner was half (or more) to blame. He complained that the electronic handbrake button was impractical, or some such.

In this respect he should have bought a vehicle with a handbrake lever!

IMO, At the time when the classic RR was in its infancy, LR saw an opportunity to aim at the high-end market, and chased the vogue approach with some success. It fooled them into moving away from the "farm" and traditional hunting and outdoor fraternity, preferring the higher profits the SUV market was offering.

The execs and managers of LR were changed to a younger and a more yuppie "quick bucks" approach, and the rest is history.

Now they've abandoned their roots completely, and are left with a dud product in a highly competitive market, and the oppo is Mercedes and BMW and the like, with a much more successful pedigree, producing a more reliable quality vehicle.

"Lost at sea" would be my description.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My friend has just bought one and the bonnet won't close.
Maybe he's at fault for expecting it to? (JLR think mode employed here).
Frank, sorry but your friend needs, at the very least, a damn good talking to with a hard stare thrown in for good measure. Even Landie lovers hate the Ewok!! One has to ask…"Why?"

Do your friend a favour, tell him it's grounds for him to take it back for a refund and to invest his money more wisely (in a Toyota).

My friend has just bought one and the bonnet won't close.
Must be a common fault, someone came down here in one the other day and the bumpy track had popped his bonnet. His verdict on the car was not good, unreliable and impractical.

He's an engineer as well ! Restores cars and motorbikes from the ground up. I think there's a warning light for the bonnet which is driving him mad. It's a brand new car not a used one.

If i was buying blind as i guess most of the upmarket Rangerover Landcruiser buyers do i would almost certainly go for the Rangerover simply because the wheels fit .

Fix it Toyota please nobody wants a 4x4 with pram wheels .

That's not a Range Rover, it's an Evoque!
JLR have a pretty shoddy attitude towards their customers unless they are buying a current model and, even then, only when they are actually buying. Once you drive it away...
I think Jeep take the biscuit though from things I've seen on those forums. They have perfected buck-passing.

But why should JLR (from their point of view) change anything while customer's still buy their vehicles?

One reviewer was on his sixth Range Rover and said they were all awful so he finally bought a merc instead after losing a mint!

Buyers have to vote with their feet to make JLR change.

I've just had an entertaining 10 minutes reading some of those reviews... worth a moment with a coffee...

"This was a really nice car until it went on fire at Edinburgh airport while we were on holiday
."

Like it.... :laughing-rolling:

Yes I saw that one Clive.

"The Mrs won't even park next to one now…"
:lol:

Amazingly over 60% would recommend to a friend… With friends like that…etc.

Think there was one that opened all its windows overnight, filled with rain and didn't even set its alarm off.
:laughing-rolling:
I love my 80!

My Golf opened all it's windows in the middle of the night after heavy snow. I went outside in the morning to find this without the keys. Keys were in the house all the time. Dealer said I had pressed the button by accident! What a liar he was, he knew I had'nt.

My Golf opened all it's windows in the middle of the night after heavy snow. I went outside in the morning to find this without the keys. Keys were in the house all the time. Dealer said I had pressed the button by accident! What a liar he was, he knew I had'nt.

My dad had this happen on his Beemer last year parked on the drive in the pouring rain. When I went in and told him he thought I was joking!

Back