Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser Amazon

Navraj Singh

Garage
Hey guys,

I have been searching for a 90 series recently but came across some nice 100 Amazons.
I currently drive a 100 series in Nairobi and was considering selling my VX here and getting a 100 in the UK. I have heard rumours that the 100 Amazon is not as strong as the 100 VX in terms of the chassis and other suspension parts.

This does not make much sense to me but I thought that I would just confirm as once I have finished my studies in the UK I will ship the car back to Kenya

Cheers

Given that they're both the IFS variant the only things I can think of that might be considered 'not as strong' is if you get one with electric steering wheel adjustment and AHC suspension which are fitted to most 100 series in the UK. The steering motors can be bought for reasonable money now and then turn off the auto retract feature that wears them out. If you would be swapping the suspension out for a lift anyway having AHC doesn't make much difference. If you plan to leave the suspension alone then make sure the AHC is working but there are quite a few second hand AHC spares floating about now and a big pile of them in my garage :roll:

AHC hmmmm.....that shouldn't really be a proble especially as my current VX also had the same system.....so I too have spares lying around :roll:

I didn't really think there was any difference but I heard that the Amazons chassis was lighter????

Hi Navraj,
I think you're being thrown of by terminology here.

The 100 series Amazon in the UK is a 100 series VX (as it's called in other markets). Other than a few optional goodies (AHC, rear swing-out spare carrier etc), the cars are the same - same chassis, drivetrain, suspension (IFS) etc.
The suspension/control arm weaknesses with the 100 Amazon and the 100 VX are the same :twisted:

BTW the last of the 80 series in the UK were also badged Amazon, and when the 100 replaced the 80, it kept the Amazon name. It's kinda like the 90 series being called the Prado in Aus, Africa etc and it's called a Colorado in the UK. The same car, other than some different optional extras.

Cheers,

Great,

Thats what I thought but it is better to just clarify before taking a step.

That clears out one of the doubts that I had but opens the door to a whole new dilemma as per the thread under Overland Builds :shock:

Hi

I am a new member from Kenya as well . I own a 100 series VX ex UK , a 105 GX ( with a 12 valve 1 HDT conversion with Intercooler ) and a 1976 FJ45 2F Petrol Pick up . My father has a Japanese spec 100 series VX 1998 and we have noticed that the torsion bar on the UK vehicle is 6mm thinner than the Japanese cars .

Regards

Billy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey Billy,

The torsion bar should not really be an issue. Just replace with Rob's HD torsions ;)

Billy Coulson said:
My father has a Japanese spec 100 series VX 1998 and we have noticed that the torsion bar on the UK vehicle is 6mm thinner than the Japanese cars .

The UK vehicle will have AHC which means hydraulics carry 40% or so of the vehicles weight and so it only has much smaller springs to do 60% of the job.

100 series AHC should be fairly reliable, so long as the fluid is changed (kept clean) and the spheres are recharged before they go flat. There is a place in Sawtry nr. Peterborough that has many years experience working with this kind on suspension on Citroens, Rollers, Maseratis etc.

I used them extensively in the 90's when I ran Citroen XM's the parts always came with a better warranty than new origninals and were sometimes modified to perform better.

I've spoken to them and they are have recharged a number of LC spheres, they say that the key thing to think about is, if spheres go flat the diaphrams inside tend to get punctured by the rivet inside rendering them useless.

So the message to anyone with AHC is to service the spheres before the fail. Pleiadies suggest that LC's are good for about 10 years before they go flat (Citroen spheres typically last 3 - 4 years).

Jon

You mention that you have a pile of AHC spares in your garage - does this include spheres?

I did have a very big pile of AHC stuff, off my truck and at least another set of everything just in case :roll: but I passed them on to Julian at Overland Cruisers so give him a try if you're after something.

Given that they're both the IFS variant the only things I can think of that might be considered 'not as strong' is if you get one with electric steering wheel adjustment and AHC suspension which are fitted to most 100 series in the UK. The steering motors can be bought for reasonable money now and then turn off the auto retract feature that wears them out. If you would be swapping the suspension out for a lift anyway having AHC doesn't make much difference. If you plan to leave the suspension alone then make sure the AHC is working but there are quite a few second hand AHC spares floating about now and a big pile of them in my garage :roll:

hi can u give me any information on the were I might be able to get the steering wheel motors or can get them fixed as I have the same issue you have mentioned I have just bought a 2002 landcruiser amazon and if you no any one that does parts and accessories for this vehicle thanks

I have a contact that can refurb motors generally. If you get stuck, let me know, though you may be better off with replacements to swap. Other members may be able to help you there.

Are you certain your motors are dead? If so, which one(s)?

Best wishes
Richard

I have a contact that can refurb motors generally. If you get stuck, let me know, though you may be better off with replacements to swap. Other members may be able to help you there.

Are you certain your motors are dead? If so, which one(s)?

Best wishes
Richard
hi Richard the steering wheel dosent move at all made a clikiing sound and stopped would appreciate any help u can give or anyone else my first landcruiser amazon

hi Richard the steering wheel dosent move at all made a clikiing sound and stopped would appreciate any help u can give or anyone else my first landcruiser amazon
Sorry spacer, I'm not your man for the 100 series as I don't (yet :) ) own one. Trouble is, you've tacked this on to an old generic Amazon thread. I suggest you post your own thread with a specific title, if you cannot find a specific existing thread (by doing a search on here) to post on. Chances are if you do that you'll get someone reply with good info.

Last edited:
:text-+1: With Richard on this one spacer, Amazon is misleading as it refers to two very different vehicles, 80 and 100 Series.

Back