Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

landcruiser club Ireland

prendergast7

Country Flag
ireland
Anyone know where the forum for Landcruiser club Ireland went to - is it gone?

Peter

Disappeared a while ago i noticed

I joined it a few years ago, but activity was scarce at times. I find here to be very active, and great help when needed, just missing the local knowledge for contacts.

that's a shame - I had loads of posts on it. I'm looking to get my LJ71 back on the road in 2022 as it will be vintage then. Can anyone recommend a body shop and someone to help with electrical?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whereabouts on the island are you based? Plenty of good places but €€€€. Is it rust? (Of course its rust )
Auto electric can be hit and miss, as to whether lads are interested in that sort of work.

Again depending on location I can help with electrics ,I have direct access to one of the best auto electrians , body work is not my strong point but other than terminal rust there‘s not a lot than can’t be sorted , post some pictures .

thanks Bob and Del. The car is stored in Wexford (Oulart). I think I have someone to do the bodywork but waiting on prices. Attached is a PDF with pictures and details of what needs to be done. let me know if you cant see that. First is to sort the body and then deal with some engine issues and the electrical. By and large, I think the electrics is not bad. Would be good to get the auto locks fixed and a general run over though.

Attachments

• state of car.pdf
    929.1 KB · Views: 74
  • attachment-1.jpeg
    attachment-1.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 60
Good hurling country.. I presume Tyrells are looking at the rust issues if you are in that neck of the woods. Very good I believe.

The central locking is probably something very simple, toyota electrics are very good, so duses or relays are the main culprits. The other option sometimes is the wiring loom between the drivers door and its door jamb. They can get frayed or cut if they've been tampered with.

Let us know how you're getting on. I just got the rust sorted on the chassis of my 90 series, its a good feeling to know its all solid again.

Thanks Bob, actually it is a guy outside Gorey.. I wasn't aware of Tyrrell Restorations so thanks for that. I'll try them as well.

im having real difficulty getting someone to do the rust repair on my Landcruiser. I had someone lined up but he is having medical difficulties. most places say they are swamped with camper vans and generally loads of work. any help down general Leinster area would be great.

Did you try Tyrells after? I got chassis work done on mine in a local independent place, bit it was all plate work and non structural. Bodywork is a different ballgame, so I'd stick with the good places and wait it out if I had to.

I tried them but no response. I only have a Facebook page but there are no phone numbers. I had a place booked since March but its falling through now so I'm back of the q again. You're right to wait but by the looks of it I'll be waiting along time

Having some work done by a guy in Rush, North Co. Dublin soon. Will let you know how it turns out. He is cutting out a bit of rot at one point at the bottom of windscreen frame and fixing front wing, where the brother decided to use the Kzj to block a rampaging cow and hit a jcb in the process, last time he gets to drive it.
I need to get a new rubber surround for windscreen, any recommendations for sourcing that would be genuinely appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210709_130224.jpg
    20210709_130224.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 47
Sorry to jump in this, but all being well with travel restrictions I am planning on bringing a few friends over towards the end of June to undertake part or all of the WAW.

Any of you give me/us a steer on expections/access places to see, stay etc.

Where do we start...
My favourite area is Connemara...Roundstone village, St. Josephs B&B....Gurteen bay beech...o Dowds bar for food and beer. But thats from a man who has had many enjoyable trips and memories from this specific combination. Main thing is to get out and walk cycle and take in the fresh air....

In terms of expectations, the WAW is fabulous, the rugged beauty lf the land, the small pubs, the villages, its all fantastic, highlights for me:

Skellig Ring Co Kerry,
Vaughans pub in Liscannor,
Achill,

Don't expect any off road/green lane type activities though.. there are no public access tracks in Ireland comparable to UK Green lanes. Just because it doesn't have a sign, doesn't mean its not considered private property. People can get very defensive about that here. There is the odd beach you can drive on, but that's about it.

Howmanygoes

The entire route is indicated on google maps, its a surfaced road trip, you cant lose the route.

Its not a continuous route - to see some great sites you have to take a dead end and then return along it, otherwise you'll miss some great sights. Tbh any good guide book will see you right - there is also a WAW facebook page.

Connemara and Donegal are fantastic. Interior counties not so breathtaking, we spent a night in Port Laoise as it was on our route......

Worth joining Donegal Overland for info., friendly bunch.

Cheers for the replies. Already part of Donegal OL and also trying to find areas that aren't in all the guide books. Detours are an important part of travelling for me. There's a start point and an end point plan, but the bit in the middle is the flexible bit, normally where the greatest adventure is had.

Plus as @Bob has said. Don't want to get caught up with causing offence to locals. So local insight is great to have. If a track, road path isn't signed, then how should it be treated?

Back