Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser Colorado 90 series 3" turboback Exhaust .

Shayne

Guru
Another work of art from Charlie at Prospeed exhausts in Cardiff .

zorst001_zps8816decb.jpg
zorst002_zpsf95b3d75.jpg
zorst003_zps2a0cd015.jpg
zorst004_zps04b3a1bb.jpg
zorst005_zpsf4a360af.jpg

Very nice, really like the side exit behind the mudflap. :icon-cool:

Looks good Shane, is there any improvement?, sound, .gas flow etc.

Andy

Tidy install, has it got 3" dump pipe now then?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks good Shane, is there any improvement?, sound, .gas flow etc.

Andy

Nice one Shayne, you won't regret having that made up. :clap:

Looks a tidy job and I'll bet it sounds just grrrrrrrreat! Do you know the wall thickness of the steel?

Looks to me the dump pipe is still in place and if you look at the 4th pic the new pipework tapers up to 3" off it , though i could be wrong we have had torrential rain since i collected the truck so my first look underneath was 5 minutes to take the pics .

How to describe the improvement ?

Forgive me but the only word i can think of to describe the sound is "Subaru" , sorry but i can think of nothing else that i might compare to . I was astonished by how civilized the exhaust note is while cruising on the open road , but a touch of throttle produces a very deep growl .

Performance is equally hard to explain .

The turbo is no longer an occasional booster for the engine , the power is there all of the time at any time , regardless of speed or revs wiggle your toe on the accelerator and the truck responds . Again i am astonished how civilized the obvious power gain presents itself , acceleration was always good on my truck but it was blatantly obvious when the turbo cut in . Now power delivery is smooth from one gear to the next . Adding to this engine braking has mellowed a lot which again smooths everything out nicely .

All in all i cannot praise Charlie at Prospeed enough , i genuinely felt he was personally pleased with his own success while at the same time being unnecessarily concerned that i wouldn't be as pleased as him with the results .

If your reading this Charlie and you still have any doubts please be assured i would recommend Prospeed to anyone , the results are astonishing and worth every penny :thumbup::icon-biggrin::thumbup::thumbup:

Looks good shayne, although I have heard the most restrictive parts of these trucks exhaust system is the down pipe, so surely it's worth the investment on a custom one of those? For maximum gains I would have also poked out the exhaust in front of the rear tyre so that it doesn't go over the axle (restricting?), just my thoughts anyway...

Looks good, may I ask how much it cost you? I wish I had the tools and equipment to make these pipes, I can weld! Would make all you guys one :dance:

Nice system.

Def on my to do list for a cat back system, don't want noise though!

From what i can gather Beau the dump pipe cannot be removed while the gearbox is in , so if i ever have the gearbox out for other reasons that will be addressed at the same time . Regardless of the dump pipe the improvement is obvious . I have to wonder if a 3" dump will actually improve anything though , the turbo itself is not 3" and the dump pipe might be viewed as a short extension of the turbo , but i guess we will never know until somebody actually swaps it .

To exit in front of the rear wheel i would have to either remove the sidesteps or go under them which for me is not an option , under it loses ground clearance when off-road , and i don't like the look of the truck with sidesteps removed . I will eventually get sliders but i intend to keep them looking as close as possible to the original step .

Gary there is no "noise" , it's hard to explain , my neighbours won't be complaining , if i drive around town nobody actually turns and looks to see whats coming because of the sound , what i do see is curious looks from guys who i have to assume recognize (or at least think they do) the sound of a tuned engine .

Be warned though my mpg is definitely going to suffer until the new toy syndrome wears off a bit because my driving is now atrocious , i just can't help slowing down so i can give it a boot full of throttle so i can hear that muted roar but even when i do that the occasional looks that come my way are of idle curiosity rather than frowning annoyance .

I fitted a K&N air filter yesterday and while the jury is still out on whether or not it improved performance in any way (waiting for Helen's non bias review) I definitely think it compliments the exhaust by making its very deep tone perhaps slightly more obvious .

The final parts for my intercooler have just arrived :banana-wrench:

Zorst was £480 by the way after vat , dropped truck off at 10am and was asked to collect at 4.30pm .

Last edited:
Thats a good price imo.

When I say don't want noise I mean no more then stock noise, I'd fit a stock exhaust but want to tweak the routing a bit.

Thats a good price imo.

When I say don't want noise I mean no more then stock noise, I'd fit a stock exhaust but want to tweak the routing a bit.

When Charlie did a 3" on my 80 I asked for it to be no noisier than standard and what I got was perfect, no noisier but with a deeper tone, every time I go through a tunnel I have to lower the window just to listen to that throaty rumble which seems to have got better with a coating of coke on the inside. :thumbup:

Charlie obviously doesn't remember you Chaz , i mentioned your name and he said "he's mad him" i said no we must be talking about different people :whistle:

Charlie obviously doesn't remember you Chaz , i mentioned your name and he said "he's mad him" i said no we must be talking about different people :whistle:

He was probably remembering all the dents and scrapes. :oops:

I think you need to see the standard Dump pipe to understand how restrictive it actually is and very small, they say on a turbo car you can never have a "big enough" exhaust....and then theres always the argument over back pressure and stuff....

I think a increase at the fuel pump would now show good gains as the hot gasses can exit faster

I would certainly like to have changed the dump pipe as well Beau , what i meant was i find it hard to believe there can be much improvement at all above and beyond what Charlie at Prospeed has achieved already with the exhaust . The fuel will be tweaked .

Anyway the jury is back with the verdict about K&N air filters . Helen drove the truck after the new exhaust was fitted and was very impressed . Tonight she drove it again for the first time since without knowing the filter might change anything . I have just had a text asking what i have done ! , she says (and its very unlike Helen to admit such a thing) she found it frightening to drive coz it feels like she won't be able to stop in time :lol: 30 odd quid on ebay - get one :icon-wink:

When Charlie did a 3" on my 80 I asked for it to be no noisier than standard and what I got was perfect, no noisier but with a deeper tone, every time I go through a tunnel I have to lower the window just to listen to that throaty rumble which seems to have got better with a coating of coke on the inside. :thumbup:

My missus is always complaining, "why do we have to have the window down in the tunnels?" I just can't resist!

My missus is always complaining, "why do we have to have the window down in the tunnels?" I just can't resist!
:lol::thumbup:

I wish i could explain the sound its not loud its just different , think i will get a youngster to help me upload a vid .

The exhaust looks good. "Turbo back" includes the dump pipe though. It is apparently possible to get the dump pipe off without removing the gearbox, but I couldn't do it in 3 attempts - I think the exhaust place magicked mine off when I had my exhaust fitted.

Back