Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser Colorado KZJ KDJ 90 series AFN bumper .

Shayne

Guru
Arrived in about 7 days from Ramingo4x4 in Italy so thumbs up to them .

But be warned it is not a simple bolt on option .

AFN 002.JPG

The winch tray will bolt on fine but the bumper bolts to the tray which makes it 2 inches too low .

So i either make the chassis rails 2" longer and 2" taller or modify the tray brackets so much i may as well make new ones .

Instead i have decided to use the tray that was already fitted to my truck which is far stronger as it bolts in place of the factory recovery points and probably weld the bumper to it , lots of chopping and trimming and the powdercoat finish will be long gone before everything fits :icon-rolleyes:

AFN 007.JPG

Nothing more annoying than buying something specifically for your model, then having to modify it.
(Unless you knew that )

Looks pretty chunky, like the look. Any reason you shipped it from Italy?

Don't know if it's just me Shayne but that looks like it might look better by being perhaps an inch lower. Looks a bit like it's got it's mouth tight shut at the moment.

Otherwise looks pretty good from here. :)

It looks better in the flesh DD i picked it out of the few available about a year ago because it follows the lines of the truck but when i finally got around to ordering i had difficulty finding it . I just chanced on Ramingo4x4 and because it offered paypal it was convenient . And no i hadn't expected the need to modify .

Not sure i follow Rich ?

The original bumper slots under the headlights which is where it is shown in the pic albeit a bit wonky as it or the tray will need trimmed to allow it to sit flush . It's just held with cable ties for the photo .

Unless you mean the two fairlead openings for the winch ? The top one will be covered with my number plate and the bottom one used .

Hi Shayne how much was the bumper if you don't mind me asking?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hit pause on this a good few times before deciding i couldn't reproduce a similar shape so had to buy

I like the bumper but torn on winch position, for me the lower position becomes less practical and a more messy affair to use if up to the belly in mud.

I'd probably put the extra time in to remount the tray higher between the chassis legs to use the top mount if the bumper is deep enough to allow a winch to sit behind.

Winch is a fail safe is all Trev i can't see it getting much use and a number plate where its supposed to be retains at least something of the stock look . The lower tray is also the stronger of the two though i'm sure the AFN one is strong enough .

Undecided to be honest Helen's truck is laid up and i had to get mine fit for the road again by 5 so i was feeling a bit defeated when i realized it won't bolt on and that's not the best frame of mind to be in when your thinking about how to modify .

I think for me there's more bumper than grille. Thinking about it, that's supposed to be so I'm scratching my head as to why I think that. Maybe it's just because it's bare and will look fine when it's got number plate, fair lead etc on it. Like the rounded corners, it's growing on me that's for sure and I see why you liked the one in the video.

Its just a crap pic Rich like looking through the bottom of a glass my tyres are wider than the bumper but they look like biscuits in that photo .

shame mate
my AFN front steel bumper fitted perfectly to my 80

I recon that's going to look just fine Shayne, when you get it positioned where you want it. It does look high to the tray in the photo, but there's a bit of a fish eye effect I think, all teeth and grin. :smile:

Ah high to the tray thanks Clive i guess that's what Rich was saying and i didn't click . It is a bit that way i suppose but i will have to see what can be done about that after its fitted . The tray is bolted flush to the bottom of chassis rails same is in this pic .

Split angel eyes 030.JPG

This looks much better :think: do you think i would get away with 2 inch tall letters for my number plate :whistle:
toy_venta_2-1.jpg

Don't see why not Shayne there's still a few motors out there with stick on number plates on there bonnet buddy.

Ah high to the tray thanks Clive i guess that's what Rich was saying and i didn't click . It is a bit that way i suppose but i will have to see what can be done about that after its fitted . The tray is bolted flush to the bottom of chassis rails same is in this pic .

View attachment 103370

This looks much better :think: do you think i would get away with 2 inch tall letters for my number plate :whistle:
View attachment 103371
You could always weld a plate below like mine

image.jpg

That looks so much better Shayne. I think the number plate 'as is' looks best compared to the other photo. I've thought about mounting it on a hinged plate with a stealth winch behind for mine (if I ever). Couple of magnets to keep it in either position, down for normal, up for winching.

I run a stick on plate on my 80 been through 3 mot's and loads of police have not said anything. You could always make the number plate hinge if you wanted it on the bumper.

Glad i didn't contact them but i owe AFN an apology anyway :icon-redface:

After 4 hours of Laurel an Hardy type slapstick trying to hold the weight , balance things on my ear and trying to lick my elbow in the hope of getting some accurate measurements . The blatantly bloody obvious sunk in :doh:

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry but ended up crying with laughter at my own stupidity :laughing-rolling:

So what did i forget ?

Answers on a postcard please

Back