Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser Colorado KZJ KDJ 90 series AFN bumper .

Did you have the winch plate underneath the chassis rails when it should have been on top?

damn, I though that was a good guess :(

You had the truck on its wheels when going at full tilt in reverse and standing on the brakes until it sits on the tow bar would have made it all just sit on the front? :lol:

You could have used clamps and clamped it up?

All the comedy was down to there being nothing to clamp the bumper to , the tray brackets bolt to the chassis , the winch tray bolts to the brackets and then and only then does the bumper bolt to the tray .

I need to get next door nieghbours cat trained it sat there watching me from start to finish and i'm sure it was laughing :icon-smile:

Now the penny has dropped i will pop out in the morning and take the only measurement i need without even putting my cup of tea down .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
image.jpeg

Getting there

Bummper getting there 002.JPG

But how the hell do i get to my winch clutch through here :?

Bummper getting there 003.JPG

Either you need to take a small child with you whenever you might need to use the winch or fit an air free spool.

Looks really good though!

mmm, time for the angle grinder maybe... lose a bit more powder-coat....

My truck has a body lift is what i forgot about yesterday so it was just a case of measuring the lift spacer , or so i thought . But the bumper is designed to continue the wheel arch and the brackets wouldn't go back onto the chassis far enough to keep the line .

So i ended up doing this
BRackets 002.JPG

And i had to trim the bumper a little on both sides to clear where the wing bolts to the body .

BRackets 003.JPG

Depending on how your winch clutch operates, by this I mean the angle and orientation, you could drill the handle vertically downwards and then attach a long rod with a short l shape at the end through the hole and then through a hole in the bumper making the whole thing operate by pulling on the rod like an old type choke control.

Last edited:
Depending on how your winch clutch operates, by this I mean the angle and orientation, you could drill the handle vertically downwards and then attach a long rod with a short l shape at the end through the hole and then through a hole in the bumper making the whole thing operate by pulling on the rod like an old type choke control.

Sounds like a plan Shayne. My clutch lever is cast and extends both ways with the pin in the centre. If yours is similar, you could drill both sides of the lever and make a two prong toast fork type of bar to attach to it.

On mine, I have to lift the handle against a spring to rotate it, and it snaps back into a lock position when released. So your device would have to go through each side of the lever with retaining nuts or another type of retainers so you can pull the rod up before you turn it.

Something along those lines might become obvious when i put the winch but weather and events have kept me from it today . Not much point in thinking about it until i can see whats what . I do have a vague notion that a pivoting lever attached to the clutch might work , we will see :)

The alternative would perhaps be to put an extension on between the stub that sticks out the winch and the lever. That could easily be made from stainless but the winch would need to be in the right spot. Even if the extension bar poked up vertically behind the radiator grille and you had a lever sticking through that you moved left and right. That would be neat as well as simple. As you say, it's got to be in position first.

Decided i didn't like the brackets , not strong enough and they left too much exposed so when in doubt get the pro's to do it .

3 weeks later in my back yard -

not exactly a bracket 001.JPG

Still not finished and i missed the metal shop :doh:but its drivable .

I need some sort of grill welded between the brackets to ensure good air flow while giving me somewhere to mount the number plate . Be nice if i can find something that looks like its supposed to be used as a car grill but there all paper thin so suggestions other than chicken wire are welcome .

bumpers on 005.JPG

bumpers on 003.JPG

bumpers on 004.JPG

Some heavy duty expamet would do the trick, painted black, it might not look too industrial...?

Thanks Clive that's the stuff i had in mind but i didn't have a name for it .

Back