Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser UZJ100 Lexus LX470 SAS (solid axle swap) Disable VSC & ABS Info Needed

Extreme Landcruiser

Garage
Country Flag
united_states
Hello,

We just finished building a 2004 Lexus LX470 for more heavy duty off road use. We swapped out both front and rear axles for eLocker axles from a FZJ80.

Vehicle is running and driving, looks and feels awesome, Is the ultimate for off-road - but we still need to dial it in for street driving.

The complete (IFS) Independent front suspension & (AHC) Automatic Height Control were completely removed. Since the original axles were swapped out, the original ABS sensors went with the original front hubs and rear axle removal.

Right now it seems the computer system is trying to compensate for the changes by making the transfer case engage/disengage. We want to defeat this.

Our goal is to disable all the electronic systems so they do not try to compensate for the radical changes. Also get the lights off of the instrument panel.

Since none of these systems are operational anymore, we want to prevent them from interacting with the engine, trans, and transfer case which are
still mounted and running in their original configuration.

Has anyone out there successfully defeated/removed all of these systems on their LX470 / LC100 or similar vehicle?

If so, please let us know the steps you took. Information online has so far been only part of what we need to accomplish.

We will document all of these steps in the construction of this build, that way anyone considering doing a SAS on a LX470 / LC100 will know what

they are getting into before starting the process of converting theirs. :tools-wrench:

Last edited:
Nice job cant wait to see some pictures. That must be a very hard conversion to get right and make work like a factory truck.
I have not heard of a converstion like this done in th UK so not sure what help you will get here is there nothing on MUD or Pirate in the US as you guys seem to lead the way with mods anyway.

good luck
Stu

Welcome,

I see your album says it has a 13" Lift and 44" tires so you have done more than just an axle swap. I thought a 100 was considerably wider than an 80, did you widen the axles?

A standard 80 front diff, CVs and shafts will not like 44" tyres if you give them some abuse off road. What have you changed there, if anything?

A friend did a solid axle conversion on a 100 and ended up buying a custom axle case and shafts. I can not remember what diff he used.

Cheers

Ian

Just an idea and i don't know how sensors work so it may be a rubbish idea but could you not have them modified so they tell the ecu all is well regardless of whats actually happening ?

If the ABS sensors are no longer connected the ECU should detect a fault and simply disable any features that depend on them so at worst leave you with warning lights which can be disabled by removing the bulbs :icon-cool: The only thing on the transfer case an ECU could mess with is the CDL and that is a separate switch on the dash not something the ECU decides should be engaged so if CDL is being engaged I'd look for some sort of wiring fault.

Just wanted to update on the solution to the LX470 SAS conversion. I started carrying a new company of parts from a company called Marks4wd from Australia. They make a ABS sensor relocation kit that was originally designed for the 80 series for people wishing to run the part time 2wd conversion instead of AWD. When you do that, the tone rings on your birfields not longer spin to give you your clock speed. The kit gives you tone rings that mount on the hubs and brackets to position the sensors on the knuckles to read the rings. This allowed me to run the ABS , VSC Trac , and other systems as fully operational. I may have been the first to use this kit for the purpose of a solid axle swap on a 100 series, but no less- it works! A way better solution than bypassing. Just wanted to let everyone know on this fantastic R&D. You can go this route, and keep all your factory electronics operational. We ended up swapping both front and rear eLocker axles from the FZJ80 into this vehicle with a Cable Locker conversion kit we sell called the eRacer which allows you to do away with the factory locker ecu and run front and rear lockers independently in any gear/range. Here are the finished pics:

IMG_3253.JPG IMG_3252.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting setup
I do like Your principal approach to the Locker-section.

Changing to J8 axles, leaves You with 6 lugs. A bigger choice in wheels.

Forgive me for being blunt, but would not a current J7 front axle be an easier route to go when doing such a conversion?

As a quick friendly (!) hint; SLEE offroad have done a few front end solid axle conversions with a J10 as a base vehicle.

Genuinly appreciate the thoughts on this
It is certainly on my drawing board for a future J10 too :)

Would like some details of the cable conversion on the diff lock 0lease?

Back