Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landy dual cab 2017 transfer box/air box issues

Ringer

Country Flag
australia
Hello everyone
Proud owner of a 2017 Landy dual cab GXL. First ever time i put her in H4 the transfer box had a noise coming from it like it wasn't engaging properly, kind of like when you grind a gear but not as harsh. Stopped and locked the hubs in and then tried again and still the same noise. Then stopped with foot on clutch put it in fist gear and had similar noise and then into second gear same noise still standing still.
Took to my local dealer and they had a look reluctantly due to me not buying it from them due to them not matching a price.....They then said that it was probably due to the angle of the front drive shaft as i have a lift kit on which is around the 2". So they said that Toyota are going to ask questions etc. in regards to the lift and they weren't really interested in going further. So I now have to travel to the big smoke to have a decent dealer have a look.
My question is has anyone else experienced any issues like this? Was it rectified through the warranty or did you have to chase it up with the people that fitted the lift? I personally don't think it has one little bit to do with the lift.
Also I've done around 4000kms in my bus and done one trip which was dusty due to SA not having any rain lately. When I got back I checked the air cleaner and noticed that the clean air side had fine dust in it which i feel is totally unacceptable. But having spoken to the local dealer they have said that Toyota have said that it is acceptable.......That makes my blood boil. You spend good money to have the so called toughest vehicle on the market have fine dust pass through the seal of the air cleaner..... Bad joke I think.
Anyway look forward to people thoughts.

I have a 2017 model and have 7600 on the dial i have had no problems with 4x4 drive in high or low . By the way can you select low range 4x4 and does it work ok in this, it has nothing to do with lift if it's o only 2 inches . As for the air box i dont have this problem either sorry im not much help did you buy new or second hand ?

Chris

Yeah bought it new.
Goes into L4 and has no probs can't hear any noises in the transfer box. The lockers are a bit of a mongrel to lock in also sometimes
Apparently the air box is a common thing and Toyota said it is acceptable amounts............. Not likely. There are a few aftermarket mobs that make a better air box up and when you call them they say they have plenty of enquires

Was the gearbox in neutral when you changed the transfer box? Have you checked the airbox for leaks? Maybe a snorkel is needed , dunno ?? BTW please don't call your cruiser a landy , that sort of swearing is complete ly unacceptable here as landy in the UK means L*** R**** !

Ah sorry Oldboy but where i am from we call them Landy but I am hearing what you are saying.
Yes in neutral and stopped as I had the hubs in auto, heard the noise and then stopped again. Locked the hubs in and tried again and same noise. Then stopped and while standing still with the foot on the clutch put into 1st gear made funny noise and then did the same into second standing still not moving an inch....WTF??
Have had "Landcruisers" forever and also have them where I work and nothing ever like this.
I have an airtech(TJM) snorkel and yes have checked the aircleaner for issues and looks fine around the seal. I think that Toyota need to have a slightly thicker rubber so when the lid is clipped down it compresses down and seals better. After market boxes are around $900.

Sounds very much to like a faulty transfer case and so long as your lift is no more than 2 inches the manufacturer dont have a leg to stand on its legal and would be fixed under warrantee you dealer just doesnt want to do the job by the sounds of it, if you have too much trouble let them know you will be emailing toyota head office directly, and you will be also contacting John Cadogan from AutoExpertTV that should get something done

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Chris.
My local dealer palmed me off but I didnt buy there as they couldn't match the price. Dealer I bought through inconvenient so off to the dealer I know in big smoke yhat I've bought vehicles from and they are the G O.
2" plus the bigger tyres 285/75-16.
I will look up John
The lift is a GVM upgrade and I've spoken to technical suport and they said 100% not the lift

Hello everyone.
Just thought I'd give an update.
Landcruiser still not sorted. Been in the big smoke since middle of June.....WTF
Basically Toyota have said they won't look at it unless I take the GVM upgrade off and put it back to original condition. Has anyone heard of such madness?
I had an independant report done and they said that it is likely the rear diff. Nothing to do with suspension. Sent report to Toyota and they still ask that standard suspension be put on. What so then they can say there is an issue but you had a lift so you'll have to pay...oh plus the extra cost of suspension removal.
Very disappointing as I bled Toyota oil and this is how they treat loyal customers. The world has gone mad all businesses are worried about is money and nothing else.
Surely someone else out there is having issues with there 70 series I can't be the only one???????
Cherrs

Can you give more details on the lift you have, how high and what is the new gvm, and did you get the upgrade officially certified ? I have heard Toyota doesnt need much of an excuse to not cover warrantee, which is why i have kept mine stock apart from the 35mm lift and 1 size tyre increase, sounds like they are being pigs about it sorry to hear mate, did you get the GMV upgrade when the car was new or later, I have heard that if cant be done legally after the initial purchase of the truck, and would therefor be un-roadthworthy is what i have heard ( if anyone has more detail on this info would be apreciated the info i have is for QLD im not sure about other states ?)

CHris

Last edited:
Hello Chris
New GVM is 3900kgs and around the 50mm. All cerified and fully engineered. Fully street legal and are even put on government vehicles. Vehicle was purchased unregistered and driven on permit to where kit was put on and then registered. So the height it is at the moment is the standard height so legally i can go another 2" but with the head f#@ ks I've had I definately wont be.
The vehicle is new its only done 7000kms. The first time the noise was noticed was before 3000kms.
Mate I'm sooooooooooo far from impressed in the whole Toyota experience

Last edited:
It's the way things are I'm afraid.we are just punters & our purpose is to provide profit for corporations.If you think Toyota is bad try buying a landrover.Seriously do you have a consumers association that could advocate for you? Or some other body like the Australian version of the AA or RAC? my experience is that with most complaints the first response is "piss off" in a polite way of course.Be persistent & maybe try contacting Toyota Australia? Good luck & keep us posted.

Hello GoodoldBoy
I have been more than persistant. The Toyota dealers say that Toyota Australia have their hands tied. No further warrantable items. The question is what isn't "warrantable" ?? They haven't even pin pointed the issue so how can they say that.
I asked RAA in South Australia if they can do independant report and they said they don't do that and couldn't even advise me where to go. Excellent work RAA.
Working with Consumer and business services CBS. But it's like the big businesses have them like puppets on a string. No urgency at all. But hey that's fine only been without vehicle for 17 weeks, NOT.
Emailed x 2 SA's Manager regional aftersale and operations for Toyota and not even a response. Wonder how he would feel in my sitution???? But hey his all happy to get photos taken when a Hilux thats done 999999kms but when a 70series dual cab has issues he ignores it and doesn't want to know about it.
Disgusting I feel there is no customer care but you never know I do live in hope

NO ONE ELSE OUT THERE WITH ISSUES ON THE DRIVE TRAIN?????
Surely I can't be the only one. There's thousands of 70's out there with lifts

Hi Ringer,

Forgive me but there seems to be two issues here. The fault with the truck and the response you are getting from Toyota. Toyota won’t look at it without the lift gone which cannot be removed due to Oz safety laws requiring it to be there from new. It’s going round in circles and all the time you’re hurting and have no truck.

For your own sanity I would put the warranty issue to one side and do your own investigation (not via a garage but yourself or with a Mate that does the spanner’s) into why it’s making the noise and giving no drive. It sounds to me like something in the transfer case as 4L works fine but 4H doesn’t. How can it be anything outside the TC if 4L works fine? It’s going to be whatever engages 4L not being in the right place (fully engaged) which could be as simple as a detent on the TC stopping the gear stick going all the way in. I expect you’ve tried a firmer hand. Is there a working truck you can try and see how far the lever goes? Post up where you are, maybe you have a forum member somewhere close that could help.

When it’s found, take loads of photos and do whatever is needed to fix it which may mean TC out and in bits on the bench or it may mean simply removing detent screws if they are accessible, even better if they are adjustable with a grubscrew. This could be something that simple but I don’t know your truck.

Once fixed, firstly you have your truck back, secondly your sanity is saved, thirdly with all your photo evidence you can go back to Toyota and say ‘there it is it cost $xxx to fix, how about it?’

Don’t shoot me but IMO Toyota have every right to say they want a standard truck before they’ll look at warranty. If your door fell off it would be different but the modification is close to where you have your problem. You of course have every right to want it repaired under warranty and to hop up and down at their response…but one of you has to blink first and sorry but it ain’t gonna be Mr T.

Think about it. You have nothing to lose.

Best of luck with it.
Rich

Hello Rich
Did as much aa could. Didn't want to affect my warranty, Mmmm that helped me. Had independant report done and they said rear diff. Noise coming back along tailshaft.
The thing with Toyota is if they walk all over me they walk all over everyone. All of us together actually make what Toyota are. Most of us bleed Toyota and love them. Yes I'm annoyed but I'm annoyed for all loyal Toyota owners as they will walk all over all of us.
Thanks for the pointers Rich that's why we join forums to get peoples points of view.
The ute has currently had lift taken off, so apparently they can take them off. Will wait patiently for the outcome.
Thanks

Fingers crossed for you. Good luck with it. Seems an odd diagnosis to me if it doesn’t do it in 2H or 4L. I don’t ‘buy it’ TBH. The fact it doesn’t do it in 4L suggests to me it’s not diff related as both diffs are in the drivetrain. It has to be something not engaging. @BobMurphy has rebuilt many 90 series transfer boxes. Maybe he’d like to comment, though I guess the boxes are probably different animals.

So standard suspension was put back on. Still had noises but not as prominent plus a new clunking noise. Dealer further investigated and the thrust bearing was changed out.
Test drove and no noises at this stage. Will leave lift off for few thousand kms. If no noises then will get lift refitted and go from there I suppose.
Surely I'm not the only one in Australia that has driveline issues on the 2017 Landcruiser dual cab.
Oh and they did over 800kms in it

We have a standard 2018 workmate at work. Making the same noise as mine is. Yes mine is making noises again. 23 weeks without it and apparently fixed, maybe there is a major flaw in the DPF model? I didn't think there were any other changes in the drive train.
Also another fella snapped the main output shaft off his 2017 single cab gearbox. First to second then bang from the traffic lights. No warranty as he has 2" ARB lift, snorkel and aftermarket exhaust fitted. What the exhaust and snorkel produced to much extra horse power??? C'mon Toyota.....

Now Toyota are saying the noise is normal for the 7o series......
Just like they said the dust getting through to the clean side of the airbox is an acceptable amount....
What a joke. Toyota say whatever they want and they get away with it
Surely there are others out there with same issues as mine???? Pretty quiet on this forom

Back