Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Large Signature Pictures- could we limit please?

pugwash

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys,

One for the Mods/admins. Would you guys consider asking everyone to limit the size of their signatures? It can get very annoying and distracting in long threads when a mixture of large avatars and signatures gets in the way of what people are actually writing.

Not suggesting we gos as far as Pistonheads which doens't allow Avatar pictures let alone signature lines, but limiting things to a reasonable size might be a good plan. You go to some forums where 90% of the page is totally irrelevant repeated images!

Cheers

Jim

Agree, causes problems on netbooks and blackberrys too.

I have to agree, I also use my phone and netbook for this site and pages become rather bulky.

There's no way to limit the pictures in the sig to a certain size, only option is to disable any images in sigs. Obviously we not going to do that, we not like that here ;)

I don't think it's excessive to ask for it to be kept about the same size as your avatar? let say 100 X 100

Thanks
Crispin

what is the main concern here, is it bandwidth or the physical size of the image? if its the latter then there should only be a restriction on the height of images IMO. If its bandwidth then maybe a mobile or light version of the site with no images in signatures or no images at all are displayed, just links to images may be the answer

I agree, they can be a bit too large, I've just resized my sig picture in Photobucket to 50x32 to make it smaller, but it hasn't made it as small as I would like. Does anyone know how to make it smaller?
Chas

Yes please. And whilst we are at it, is it absolutely necessary to quote the original thread every time, especially when it has lots of pics in it. A text selection would do, or just click REPLY?

Chris

Don't you dare quote this posting when you reply, or I shall set the dogs on you.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Yes please. And whilst we are at it, is it absolutely necessary to quote the original thread every time, especially when it has lots of pics in it. A text selection would do, or just click REPLY?
Chris, Don't you dare quote this posting when you reply, or I shall set the dogs on you.
Chris
Hi Chris, Woof, woof :lol: :lol:
When 'quote' is used it's very easy to edit out oics that are not being reffered to in youy answer, perhaps some members don't realise that.
Chas
Sorry, but you did dare

Cossack said:
Chris said:
Chris, Don't you dare quote this posting when you reply, or I shall set the dogs on you.
Chris
When 'quote' is used it's very easy to edit out oics that are not being reffered to in youy answer, perhaps some members don't realise that.
Chas
Sorry, but you did dare
well that was bound to happen

what? too much quoting? err :oops:

Rob said:
what is the main concern here, is it bandwidth or the physical size of the image? if its the latter then there should only be a restriction on the height of images IMO. If its bandwidth then maybe a mobile or light version of the site with no images in signatures or no images at all are displayed, just links to images may be the answer

I like the idea of a mobile / text version. Almost there with the RSS feed though.

You right on the size thing - having a height restriction and a "sensible width" is fine. I was looking at Ecky thumps old sig on TLOCUK -
Forum.jpg

That kind of thing, don't see a problem with that "style" of image.

So 100 high and whatever wide to keep perspective.

Rob said:
Cossack said:
Chris said:
Chris
Chas
Sorry, but you did dare

Sorry fellas. Don't get your point?

Rob said:
Cossack said:
Chris said:
Chris
Chas
Sorry, but you did dare

you've got yourself to blame for the new direction of this thread :)

Chas, did you save - Replace Original or save copy?

Crispin said:
Chas, did you save - Replace Original or save copy?
I replaced the original and then selected the new IMG and pasted into my sig, that should have made it smaller, it did but not as small as I would have thought, I reduced it from 450 to 50 :(
Chas

Think something must have gone wrong with the saving. I've just done it and it's fine.
6-1.jpg

Try again or upload this one above.
In PB, Upload > more Upload Options > From Web and paste in http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad29 ... or/6-1.jpg

edit and OT:
That logo you embed in your sig image, I'll do a better one (trim the white edges so it blends a bit better. I know Ecky Thump also uses it.

Thanks Crispin,
As you can see, that worked. :D
Chas

Move the forum software to vBulletin, that way the users have the option to turn off sigs and avatars if they want
augie.gif

Cossack said:
I agree, they can be a bit too large, I've just resized my sig picture in Photobucket to 50x32 to make it smaller, but it hasn't made it as small as I would like. Does anyone know how to make it smaller?
Chas
Hi Chas,
Look for a little programe called 'pixresizer'

http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/

It's free, and you will wonder how you ever did without it.

It will do single files, or multiple files.
My picture folders typically contain a subfolder called 'reduced'
And I will reduce all my standard camera files, which are around 3,4 Meg, down to a nice convenient 600 x 400, or any size you care for.

It's very fast also, it will reduce say, 200 images in about 30 seconds.

Graham

Rob said:
Cossack said:
Chris said:
Chris
Chas
Sorry, but you did dare

Grrrrr, Grrrrrrr

Rob said:
Cossack said:
Chris said:
Chris
Chas
Sorry, but you did dare

That quote should have read PICS not oics
Yap, yap
Chas

Grrrrr, Grrrrrrr[/quote]

Guys

When you have all finished debating this, could you let us computer dunces know in simple terms what you want us to do?

My TLOCK sig was long and thin but this one isn't. I have no idea how big it is!

Back