Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Largest size tire on stock suspension & 16" rims

Wally ElSakka

Country Flag
united_states
What is the largest size tire I can fit on a stock suspension 01 Series 78 Troop Carrier without rubbing?? I intend to use 16" rims and would also love to get some guidance on rim width and offset. Thank you.

To the best of my knowledge . 275/70/16 gets to about a height of 31.2 inches.
thats what I am running

just fitted 285/75/16 to my 71 - standard suspension, std alloy rims- no issue with clearances
(because the average marketing mentality here is we sell what's on the floor - take or leave it...grgrg) wanted 245/85/16 but not prepared for the run-a-round
(33"give or take a decimal point)

IMG_0268.JPG
Can someone help and tell me if these are standard rims and if so what size width are they? The tyres on it are 33 x 12.5 x 15 but id like to fit smaller tyres that are better for the road use at the moment, something like 31 x 10.5 x 15.

I could buy a set of rims and tyres from milner but I do like the rims just not the tyres.

View attachment 128377 Can someone help and tell me if these are standard rims and if so what size width are they? The tyres on it are 33 x 12.5 x 15 but id like to fit smaller tyres that are better for the road use at the moment, something like 31 x 10.5 x 15.

I could buy a set of rims and tyres from milner but I do like the rims just not the tyres.
Hi.
Those rims are not stock to the best of my knowledge. However I could be wrong. What series is your cruiser. I know that the stock size for your vehicle usually is 265x70x15. That roughly works out to be 29 point something in hieght. Going for good dunlop AT's is not a bad idea. Dunlop Sp RV majors are good aggressive all terrains . And work out to be around 31. 10.5. 15.
The ones you have now dont look like 33's.
Above is my opinion . I could be wrong. Btw nice ride. Do post more pics.
Cheers
TL

Hi.
Those rims are not stock to the best of my knowledge. However I could be wrong. What series is your cruiser. I know that the stock size for your vehicle usually is 265x70x15. That roughly works out to be 29 point something in hieght. Going for good dunlop AT's is not a bad idea. Dunlop Sp RV majors are good aggressive all terrains . And work out to be around 31. 10.5. 15.
The ones you have now dont look like 33's.
Above is my opinion . I could be wrong. Btw nice ride. Do post more pics.
Cheers
TL

Its an LJ70 1989, no pictures of it in action yet as main focus has been cleaning it up, tyres on it are def 33 x 12.5 x 15 but its on Raptor yellow springs by the looks of it and 2" lift so maybe the tyres look small. Im assuming the spray on the shock absorber is sealant as was told on original paint but of course i could of be lied to.

IMG_0320[1].JPG IMG_0321[1].JPG IMG_0366[1].JPG IMG_0380[1].JPG IMG_0387.PNG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi
The stock wheel size on your lj is supposed to be 265/70/15.
Yes your current setup is 33 inches. Since you already have a lift of 2 inches why don't you keep the 33 . What is your main reason to change. If you must change then the 31/10.5/15 like you want is a good option. Btw good vehicle nice pics. What are your plans for the lj

At first my plans were to pull people's cars away that park outside my house with the winch, they are allowed to do it but it annoys me, i think a couple of times of finding their car stranded in the road will teach them to park outside their own house :) and pretty much not worry when people park right up my arse, i can just back straight into them and push them back a bit or just go up their car...... Now its turned up I'd like to try a bit of green lane driving(is it called that?) but not much of that around West London itself... will have to go further afield.

I'm not sure the tyres will pass the next MOT in November but who knows, a tyre more suited for road than the mud tyre currently on it and i thought a smaller tyre will give better handling and road noise. Maybe ill keep to a 33 as have a better motorway car and will look good with spacers.

My AT options for 33 seem to be

BF Goodrich AT KO 2 and a K0 or a Yoko Geolander? Any experience?

:) I must confess I have pulled some one out of my Parking lot ...but later I felt bad. I think the 33's right now are looking good on your beast so keep it that way for now. I also have added spacers , they do look nice. Both the Geo lander and the BF Goodrich are both good tires however I incline slightly the Geo lander way. While you are at it do consider the Dunlop SP RV Majors , I have had those on my Pajero and they are noise less and very aggressive AT's . I have had a good experience with them. I think they are not as dear as the other two. How is the clean up job coming along on your LC , what engine are you running?

Just had a quick look and I dont think that Dunlop SP RV Majors tyre is a popular tyre in the uk as cant see it on sale.

Its got the 2.4 TD inside.

To be fair i've left it to a mate to valet it as he said he's good at it, so i said lets see!!! ;) He did find £9 in loose change the previous owner didn't even bother to remove. It was literally dropped off from Ireland at 8am and by 10am I had it 50 miles away so my mate could crack on with it. I was rather horrified with my purchase.

I think its going to the body shop in the next few days, not much rust but sunroof hasn't fared well and i think he's going to see if it can saved or welded shut, not my first choice as no a/c. Then its going to be serviced and then ill get it back and add the spacers. I may run the tyres for a bit but depends what i spend on everything else.

Hi
Try getting the sunroof operational. Also can get an ac for it. I dont know if you get used parts or refurbished parts in the uk. Would save you a lot if you know what you are getting. 2.4td is a good engine. Frankly i like the way it your lc looks. Is it going to be your daily runner?
I could find you parts from here in pakistan but i don't know if uk allows import of things like that from pakistan.

Thats a good offer thank you but i think it will be more costly than finding parts local after getting them in but if get stuck on something i might give you a shout on that. I believe the roof is operational yet corroded in places.

It wont be a daily drive when its hot that's for sure but i intend to use it as much as i can. Your looks very clean, i like it, is it a new car that Toyota re released of the old shape?

Well if you ever get stuck with small parts do let me know. They shouldnt be to expensive to ship. Besides i have friends who travel to the uk often . If something is not too bulky or heavy i could ask em for a favour.
As for my lc. Its been kept with a lot of care. Mind you i do off road to remote locations cause i am a photographer / film maker so it is important for me to keep it in a good condition.
It has been imported from UK. Its a 1994 model. With a 3.0 ltr td . Its thirsty though.
The body shop should be able to get the rust out and fit it with new rubber rtc . For your sun roof that is. I plan to install rock sliders and a arb styled bumper next. And a winch eventually.

Send me your vin number or frame no and i ll try pulling up details for your lc from toyota japan. :)

JT1V0LJ7009047576

Yours looks like new inside, I'd happily live with that a daily.

Hi,
This is your exact model number. You can verify it from your plate in the hood which has other details.

LJ70RV-MEXW
here is a link for your vehicles exact part numbers and details

http://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/lj70rv/8490/
The date your vehicle was built was August 1989.
It is the original VX version.
other specs :
lj70rv.jpg

Your Stock tire size could be different for the EU market

Hope all this helps :)

JT1V0LJ7009047576

Yours looks like new inside, I'd happily live with that a daily.

I cant stand noisy and untidy interiors . Fussy that way . The ride has to be as quiet as possible :p Yea I do my best to keep it clean , since I drive long distances in it .
I am sure yours would look just as good if not better by the time you are done.
btw whenever you come to the point of calculating what fuel average is your ride giving you dont forget to adjust for the tire size difference. your odo is tuned to the stock tire size. so when your odo says it has covered 10 miles in fact it has done more.

It looks awesome as it is, but with the 2.4TD engine, I'd go down to 31's, it will feel so much livelier and quicker on acceleration! :icon-twisted:

The 2lt engine is known for being a bit underpowered and those tyres are sucking it away, being as your not using it that much off road I dont think the improved off road abilities out weight making it slower, using more fuel and being noisier on the road. You could even go for an all terrain tyre rather than a mud tyre. :think:

As for your sun roof I wouldnt weld it up, I'd try and find one from the later square headlight models. Their made of glass so dont have the rust issues the earlier steel ones had.

Theres at least 3 people I can think of in the UK who break 70's and sell parts. You could also look on ebay for people breaking them and try and track down a sun roof that way. :thumbup:

It looks awesome as it is, but with the 2.4TD engine, I'd go down to 31's, it will feel so much livelier and quicker on acceleration! :icon-twisted:

The 2lt engine is known for being a bit underpowered and those tyres are sucking it away, being as your not using it that much off road I dont think the improved off road abilities out weight making it slower, using more fuel and being noisier on the road. You could even go for an all terrain tyre rather than a mud tyre. :think:

As for your sun roof I wouldnt weld it up, I'd try and find one from the later square headlight models. Their made of glass so dont have the rust issues the earlier steel ones had.

Theres at least 3 people I can think of in the UK who break 70's and sell parts. You could also look on ebay for people breaking them and try and track down a sun roof that way. :thumbup:

I agree with what you're saying about the 31 and if it doesn't compromise the look(how can 2 inches) then an all terrain tyre is the way to go.

I've been told the sunroof can be saved, its going to body shop Wednesday but glass sunroof you say? Is that still a lj7 model but later? I have already bought a door handle off a guy from Essex on eBay but if you know of a few others I'd be pleased to know details if you don't mind as I'm looking for two rear headrests and potentially this glass roof.

I dont know about this specific Dunlop mentioned but have used (havent we all...) the Dunlop AT20's - and in all honesty it may as well be labelled an entry level HT tyre. As AT tyres go, I dont see anyone rate it, and I agree. Just put me ifd all Dunlop for LT or any AT workloads.

Back