Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Law on animals feeling pain, on the scrap heap?

Signed
As someone who worked in an abattoir (albeit very briefly) I can attest to the fact that animals have feelings, and understand what is happening, I came close to becoming a vegetarian

Unfortunately going to be so much legislative upheaval in the next few years I wonder how much anyone will be taking notice of these petitions? Has any legislation ever changed after debate invoked by one, even in calmer times?

Completely agree with the sentiment. And already voted to keep this law.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, signed, Brian I worked as a sparks in a Walls factory, put me off pork pies for a long time.

legislative upheaval is not necessarily a bad thing. The uk does have some of the strictest animal welfare laws in the world. Where as france, Spain and the like?...

legislative upheaval is not necessarily a bad thing. The uk does have some of the strictest animal welfare laws in the world. Where as france, Spain and the like?...

...have most of the same laws given 80% of our animal welfare legislation is from the EU. They do allow gavage, which I can appreciate is contentious. But then they also recognise animals as sentient and so are about to go one up on us there.

What else do we have on them?

...have most of the same laws given 80% of our animal welfare legislation is from the EU. They do allow gavage, which I can appreciate is contentious. But then they also recognise animals as sentient and so are about to go one up on us there.

What else do we have on them?
Gavage is utterly disgusting, as is worrying and stabbing a bull until its exhausted then killing it to the roars of approval from a crowd of thousands. The uk led the way in animal welfare long before it joined the eu, as it did in many other things.

Gavage is utterly disgusting, as is worrying and stabbing a bull until its exhausted then killing it to the roars of approval from a crowd of thousands. The uk led the way in animal welfare long before it joined the eu, as it did in many other things.

Good point on Spanish bulls. Free vote on fox hunting in this parliament I think? Not sure how relevant stuff we used to do well is though, unfortunately. But maybe our new age of enlightenment is just around the corner.

Good point on Spanish bulls. Free vote on fox hunting in this parliament I think? Not sure how relevant stuff we used to do well is though, unfortunately. But maybe our new age of enlightenment is just around the corner.
I also hope our new age of enlightenment is round the corner. Im a believer of looking to the past to shape the future, learn from past mistakes and be inspired from a long list of accomplishments.

Sorry for the threadnap, but whatever opinions on leaving the EU are, one thing that EU legislation has prevented is the banning of live exports from the UK. A bill was put before the UK parliament a couple of years ago to stop it, but couldn't be implemented because of EU law. There is a petition regarding this here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200205

Cattle know their fate at least a mile before they reach the abattoir but alas life's not perfect and it never will be so i have no time for rules aimed at making it so .

Not signed because it is more important to be cost effective and efficient in order to advance the industry .

Sorry for the threadnap, but whatever opinions on leaving the EU are, one thing that EU legislation has prevented is the banning of live exports from the UK. A bill was put before the UK parliament a couple of years ago to stop it, but couldn't be implemented because of EU law. There is a petition regarding this here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200205

I've always found this one odd. The EU has directives we have to follow over animal transportation. Scheduled stops. Provision of feed and water, etc. Picked up some cattle from West Scotland a couple of years ago and had to go through all this, rightly. What we seem to want to do in the UK is prevent cross-border exports. So no-one in Newry will be able to sell in Dundalk, but transporting Belfast to Stranraer, or Stornoway to Ullapool and beyond will be fine. I can buy cows in the Highlands and move to South Wales but farmers in Kent can't buy from Normandy. For me this is being hung-up on lines on a map rather than caring about animal welfare. Exporting outside of the EU where we had no control over standards I can understand.

Cattle know their fate at least a mile before they reach the abattoir but alas life's not perfect and it never will be so i have no time for rules aimed at making it so .

Not signed because it is more important to be cost effective and efficient in order to advance the industry .
Which one Shayne, as we've now got 2 petitions here?

I think for me, the animal's fate and weather or not meat is eaten is one thing (not being debated here), it's how that animal meets its fate and how it has been treated throughout its life. The law is here now and it doesn't aim for perfection.
I think all decent human beings would hope that such a law was unnecessary and that humans should treat other beings humanely, but the world isn't like that. The removal of this law would, for example allow less than humane means of slaughter, such as those used to produce halal meat, where the animal dies a slow agonising death. It would likely allow pet animals to be treated poorly too. The presence of this law now does not prevent all cruelty, but the absence of it would not improve the situation.

Back