Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC 100 master cylinder ABS assembly

Natal

Country Flag
united_states
Hey Land Cruiser Club,
I am installing a master cylinder ABS brake assembly which includes master cylinder, accumulator and accumulator motor on my LC 100 series. Removing the old unit and installing the new unit is pretty straight forward. My question, if anyone can help me or give me advice, is when it comes to filling the reservoir and bleeding the system. Being that it has the ABS and the VSC (vehicle skid control), is there any specific procedure that needs to be done or different that your regular bleeding of the master cylinder brake booster assembly. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks to all.

Normal bleeding will suffice. Activate the ABS by braking hard on a gravel road, or other suitable surface, in order to get that part of the fluid into circulation, then bleed again afterwards. It is also possible to activate the abs through TechStream, iirc.

Thank you brother that was the last piece of information i needed to know before got started.

Ive just replaced all the calliper pistons and seals, master cylinder piston and seals, discs, pads, had the booster pump overhauled at Robson and Francis and replaced all the metal and rubber brake lines. To bleed i just worked from the rear to the front with the ignition on so getting help from the booster. On my third time of bleeding every corner i had a sudden rush of air in the system which i assume was the ABS circuit kicking in and that was it. I did the braking on a grass field and the ABS was working perfectly. Plugged in the OBD reader to check for codes and all was clear. Hope this helps you and others that pick up on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ABS system does not kick in by itself. As uHu said, either bleed, then brake hard a few times to activate ABS, then bleed again, or use Techstream and when you open the ABS/TRC tab under Utilities there is a bleed function that can manually activate the ABS solenoids while stationary to aid bleeding.

The ABS system does not kick in by itself. As uHu said, either bleed, then brake hard a few times to activate ABS, then bleed again, or use Techstream and when you open the ABS/TRC tab under Utilities there is a bleed function that can manually activate the ABS solenoids while stationary to aid bleeding.
Thanks Ivan, I know it shouldn't kick in by it self but as i said it did and worked properly the first time i tried it on damp grass. The fluid level stayed the same, there are no faults when plugged into diagnostics and its now done over 800 miles since the job was done. The brakes were very good when i started but now they are exceptionally good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
JUST IN CASE. what ever you do to your brake system only use DOT3 please don't use DOT4 DOT5 or new stuff. Toyota only had DOT3 when your car was built. it will rot out the seals in your brake master ABS unit then your in trouble.

Back