Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC 100 series Amazon query

Tropic of Capricorn

Hi,

I am new here and a prospective buyer.

My question is: are there any known issues with automatic transmission in the 100 series LC Amazon , UK spec, 4.2 diesel auto? I am looking at one with 130,000 miles on the clock that's for sale near me.

Many thanks!

Hi both, thanks for your replies, I am based in Malawi, the vehicle is a UK spec 1999 LC Amazon that was imported from the UK. I am coming from the dark world of Hiluxes and Prados so this is all new to me...

I found a specification sheet on the Roughtrax website, it shows that the Amazon had one of these 4 possible auto gearboxes:
1655350773695.png

Is there a way to tell which one is fitted from the VIN plate in the engine bay? I am super cautious about automatics as if anything goes wrong with them here, there is nobody who can fix them.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That would be the 442 box then. The gearbox itself is bomb proof, but the converter had issues on the early years, like this one. The problem would normally appear well before 100 k miles, and be rectified on warranty. You'll find forum threads on the issue both here and there.
The biggest problem would be if the issue was not resolved in time, and the offending ceramic piece disintegrated and got into all the valves and channels. Search.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back