Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC 70 KZJ engine not starting with “nose” up

Miklovan

Hello,

I have the most strange and annoying problem: My Toyota doesn’t start when parked with the “nose” slightly up. What was done so far:

- refurbished injection pump with all gaskets;
-changed fuel lines (old ones were corroded);
-new battery

Car was at mechanic last week and he managed to start it - very hard- with fuel from a bootle in the engine bay. Back home is below 0 degrees C at night. I personally blame spark plugs and fuel pipe connection in the tank
Thanks

Air leak in the system causing fuel to drain back to the tank. Either find the leak or stick a check valve in the lines somewhere to help.

Fuel filter housing fail or just a poorly fitting filter .

Thank you for the feedback!
I will try to find a “permanent fix” based on your advice and what was discussed in another topic blaming the filter primer.

It was not easy to start the damn car...the filter primer was not working creating vacuum.
One local mechanic brought a filter housing from a Nissan Patrol Y60 and the car started. I will run with the Patrol filter for the time being until the new filter housing will arrive.
Is that a common fail? I will use a valve on the fuel line and change it once in a while from now on

Not a common fail on cruisers i don't think but common enough in general and maddeningly difficult to diagnose the first time you encounter it .

I would be inclined to think the Nissan 4.2 is thirstier than Toyota's and the filters probably cheaper so if its new and a tidy fit why not just stick with it .

Edit - just noticed yours is a KZJ 3L so the Nissan filter could be considered an upgrade assuming its bigger and set to deal with a greater volume of fuel .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The filter is from a 2.8 Patrol...I will check if the one for the 4.2 engine will fit the housing, anyway I’m thinking either to adapt one from LC80 or keep the one for this engine with the valve on the fuel line.

I know a fuel filter from a 12 valve 80 fits my 1kz-te 90 series .

All the filter heads are very similar or the same.. sometimes the mounting hole distance can vary, the main thing to match up is the diameter of the pipes that go into the filter head. The 80 series has the same filter head as the kzj 7x series and you can tell by they both have a large input pipe diameter and a very small return pipe. Its a pita when you intend to hookup a large pipe onto a medium sized inlet on a replacement filter head.. and then you're back to air going in and having to rebleed before starting..

Another one is when you refill with fuel and take the fuel cap off. Does it suck air in when you take the lid off? Because thats the culprit which is pulling the fuel back to the tank. On a 70 there's a breather that goes from the fuel tank and goes up to a cavity to allow the tank to breathe.

Pretty common problem.. mine does the same but only on 30 % of cold startups. I just rebleed the fuel by loosening the return pipe on the fuel pump and it starts right up and ready for a good thrashing!

Hope the info helps :thumbup:

I'd keep the Nissan one if I was you. I've had problems with multiple toyota ones. But it's more due to age than poor build.

Back