Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC 90 KZTE non-runner

SafariTecPeter

Country Flag
norway
My best buddy ist stuck with his LC.....
It suddenly died on him while driving at a low speed.
No prewarning no loud bangs just went "silent"....
Car has now been towed to safety & in close viscinity of tolls etc

I suspect no fuel is comming to the engine, when undoing the fuel line going to the injectors, they remain dry while cranking...
The tank is full. When pumping manyally in the fuel filter, he says it aing getting "hard"....
No obviouse fuses or else blown. Timing belt is still spot on....
Car wont start on either key. I have heard it cranck healty on the phone.
ECU diagnosis ist still pending. Removing the terminals from the battery/batteries has not dione any good.

My buddy is very technical but not overly familiar with the LC as such. I am 4 Hrs away & flat out with work.
What am I missing & what needs to be looked at next??
Any input would be greatly appreciated in order to get him & the family back on the road.

So -> PRETTY HELP please :) :)

Could very well be.......
What would be the definate tall tale its gone?
I dont have my own J9 here to compare :-(

But thn it would empty the fuel filter....... or am I way off?

Fuel cut-off solenoid being measured now...

Last edited:
Fuel leak, fuel pump (in tank I think), immobiliser, ECU, fault, fuse, fuel cut off solenoid or other fuel pump valve.

Try running it from a can and that will eliminate a lot if it runs Peter.

AFAIK there is no pump in the tank......
Suction pipes from tank heading to the filter housing.
Correct me if I am way off here....

Immobiliser has yet to be ruled out'
ECU is abit of a can of worms......
Fuel cutoff solenoid is currently being tested. It does not seem to get "juice"........
Still need to retrieve fault codes from the ECU.......
I have sucessfully used this in the past
http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthread.php?14200-How-to-read-ECU-fault-codes-1KZ-TE-amp-D4D

Blocked fuel pickup sock is rather common as is deteriorated fuel lines on our old collies , worst case scenario its the filter housing itslf that's failed but thats a rare one i think .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pop the fuel cap and try to bleed , could be a breather blockage ?

I can appreciate the blocked suction line.
That it is getting NO fuel is abit Hmmmm.

Possibly attempt blowing back the suction line? Just to make sure it`s free
Fuel tank cap is off. Fair point though.

Car is manual, forgot to mention that...

Its not a complicated problem if he cant bleed solid it has to be from the filter back and sucking air instead of fuel . The pipes coming off the tank are known for this .

I didn't think the collie had a lift pump ?

I didn't think the collie had a lift pump ?

Me neither...., but I have not 110% certain

Latest Update; He applied 12V direct to the fuel cutoff solenoid. It started right up.
So now to either get a new solenoid OR figure out why the ECU is possibly fried........

MANY THANKS to everyone who brainstormed & helped out :)

More to follow.

Interesting , that suggests the fuel cut off (a thing we all hate but have never successfully found a way to bypass) activates something before the filter :think:

Beau wherefore art thou ?

Not before the filter Shayne

The cutoff sits straight on the pump, right above where the HP pipes are scrwed into the pump housing.

BEAU has had a few threads on here (ffound through G...) that wehre helpfull

Yes but trying to trick it not to recognize overboost has always been the goal .

The question i'm asking myself is why couldn't your mate pump fuel to the filter solid if the failure was electrical , unless he needs to look at the fuel lines anyway .

I could be barking up the wrong tree but it would be great if we could leave the cut off electrics alone but bypass a valve or something further back towards the tank preventing the cut off from actually doing anything if you see what i mean .

If you've given the solenoid valve 12v and it worked then the solenoid is not faulty. As for the lift pump I was going from generic info, sorry if it was a red herring.

Is it not the case that the valve in question is modulated by the ECU? Are we talking about the spill valve on these pumps rather than an old type shut off valve?

Abit uncertain where "overboost" comes into the picture....:flushed:

The Q why he could not get the pump in the filter to go hard, is indeed conserning
I am not THAT familiar with this spesific pump, so I will not be pinned down on certain details....
The electric faul SHOULD in theory not lead to this "faul"...I think..

I am not ontop of the state of his fuel lines, BUT have an idea they need attendance...
I have not been close up with the car for 18 Month or soo_O

@StarCruiser; Correct, the valve is among other controlled by the ECU.
Which in turn could mean he has a fried ECU....

There is an old but similar thread on I8MUD reg the same problem. Applying 12V straight to bespoke solenoid apparently made that spesific engine run off..
So for future reference-> Be carefull!
We are still not fully oit of the woods on this yet :-0

Sorry Peter i thought you were sorted so my overboost comment was an all out threadjack .

I don't pretend to know sod all about evil electrickey but i will offer my own muddled understanding to provoke thought .

The spill control valve takes command from the ecu matching fuel to boost or lack thereof , and the fuel cutoff solenoid defends against overboost by limiting the flow of fuel to a max of 14psi of boost .

I have always assumed as the spill valve is electronic that the ecu will switch to cutoff when overboost is detected basically slowing the engine down .

Right or wrong i dont know but to me its an entirely electronic affair safeguarding against a runaway engine .

If it wasn't for this cutoff we could be running boost psi into the 20's with a major power increase , so as i said it would be interesting to learn the cut off actually works a valve in the pipework from tank to filter somewhere .

Wishful thinking maybe but i would rather remove a valve than piss about with air or electrics .

Hope some of that makes sense :icon-neutral:

No problems reg threadjacking :)

If the ECU would strangulate the spill valve into preventing the engine to go bananas on the RPM, that is unknown to me. But absolutely thinkable

AFAIK I have found no valve between the tank & the fuel filter. Neither in the parts diagram nor physically on the few 90 KZTE I have been poking around..

As for the (over-)boost being one of the inputs into the ECU controlling the fuel pump, THAT much is certain.

Now to sit down with the ECU circute board & figure this one out :-0

Might have missed a post but have you checked the immobiliser connections?

Seen similar before and the connections to the plug on the ECU had gone crusty due to damp, after a clean up and dry it was fine.

@delmonti;

I did not come around to have my mate check the diagnostics
It would have thrown up the immobilizer. He did test wit both keys...

There is still a slite slite chance it COULD be the immo, but it will be checked alomg with some other things.

I`ll revert once we have new & definitive news

Back