Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC J9 Repair Panels

SafariTecPeter

Country Flag
norway
I am posting on behalf of a buddy.
He is in desperate need for sills for his early (narrow body) LWB J9.
The source I thought I had, is gone. He was to make them from scratch....

With that option out the window & little steel left to hold the tape togehter, a substantial repair is needed.

Does anyone have a GOOD source for these parts?

If anyone is possibly breaking a J9 & would cut out the complete sills, I`d appreciate a tips very much.
Provided the sills are sound that is :innocent:

& YES; I am certainly kooking locally & with the breakers in Norway too
So indeed, I am bringing more fishing poles to the dam:D

I might have to drop him a line
Or is there a "build-)thread on this?

I might have to drop him a line
Or is there a "build-)thread on this?

Instead of replacing my sills - I'm lurking on here :lol:.

I bought the genuine article from Toyota - through Simon Holton at Steven Eagell Toyota. These are substantial things and incorporate three of the body mounts so not something I would like to fashion for myself.

I only have the N/S one (left hand side for us!), it cost £286.04 after Simon's discount. I'll need the other side as well, once I've welded the N/S one in.

DSCN6163_zpsjj306drs.jpg

I've drilled out all the spot welds and have the old panel free, I just need to lift the body so that I can get it out - then slip the new one in, clamp it up and start welding.

I'll also have to make and weld-in a new outer sill panel - the one behind the plastic (where there is currently fresh air).

I'll do one side at a time as otherwise the floor will be loose and will sag and distort!

I may give it a two inch body lift.

Fun and games.

Bob.

Hi Bob!

Thanks for replying.
would You care to share a part number with me? I struggle to single out the part You have pictured out from the parts catalouge.

The issue with my buddys car (the worst area) are the outer sills & in particular the rear end tips of the sills, basically the lower front end of the rear wheel arch. Not saying the rest is all good but...
From what I see in the Toyo PC, these bits are part of the rear quarter panel. Replacing those aint happening......

Peter,

The Part Nos are:

57401C (57401-60060) MEMBER SUB-ASSY, FLOOR SIDE, INNER RH

57402A (57402-60070) MEMBER SUB-ASSY, FLOOR SIDE, INNER LH

Here:

Front%20Floor%20Panel%20amp%20Member-1_zpsjx1czrhz.jpg
Front%20Floor%20Panel%20amp%20Member-2_zpsazfmrhbc.jpg
Front%20Floor%20Panel%20amp%20Member-3_zps3estzvml.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Bob!
Indeed!

Thats about the "only" section I managed to miss out on...

That being said, I still seem to need a possible source for the outer sill....
How will You sort that out Bob?

Is it a metter of "kissing&cuddeling" with the local panel beater & have him chew tinfoil for long enough untill the part is complete?

IIRC the very same "problem" is known to those who repair 4-Runners.
Hmmm

The outer sills are available parts, but in sections, and many rather inconveniently attached to big bits of body work. On the 61-51 Side Member diagram.

If money was no object we could buy complete new rear quarter panels, Part 61123-60010

As "only" the tip of the front wheelarches are beyond gone, replacing the complete panel ain`t happening.
The smaller sectuins in the door gaps & the door pilars are all available.
I was more hoping for a replacement panel to redo the outer sills.....
That seems to be "difficult"....

Missed out on a complete straight body(shell) recently.
Still looking :0

I think if i were faced with such a job i would ask a breaker to chop the whole section out with a view to welding it all in , floor and sill as one piece .

Thats what I (we) are gunning for.
& what I have suggested to my buddy for quite some time now...
Now to find a "willing" breaker.......

As I am "only" the sidekick on this, I merely have an adivsory role.......

If someone however would have a very well hidden source for them outer sill bits of steel I am certainly interested

I have had a few bits from this guy without problems and he always seems to have a few 90's to choose from .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LA...340954?hash=item19d5c06fda:g:A8wAAOSwLVZV1dvZ

I have never met them though and its an odd part to ask for especially if its to be shipped to Norway so i can't recommend as such but it may be worth sending an email perhaps suggesting you were directed to him by the the UK's biggest Landcruiser club .

Thanks Shayne

I see he even has a narrow body LC pictured.
I might have to bell him & see what can be done.
As You neatly put it; It is an odd Q from overseas....

I`ll let You guys know where this is heading :)

Back