Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC120 - squeel on startup - 2nd water pump??

MartynC

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello All

Newbie here - so forgive any wrong posting.

Anyway - I have a loud squeal on starting from the area of the auxiliary belt, which disappears when the engine is warm. Its much worse when the weather is cold/frosty. Sound appears to be coming from a second water pump?? on the front left of the engine as you look under the bonnet - above the alternator

Anyone had this issue and know of any remedy? There is about 100k miles on the clock

Many thanks in advance

2006 Land cruiser LC4 120

It could well be the belt squealing if it is just a little loose. As the rubber belt warms up and also there is less drag from the alternator, as the battery is full after a few minutes, the squeal goes. The test is to spray water on the belt whilst you hear the squeal. If it suddenly goes, that is defo the cause. WD 40 spray will also diagnose a loose/squealing belt. On a cold day the belt can feel tight but if only a little loose it will squeal.

Thanks Chaps.

Yes thought it may be the belt - but looks ok. Will try the 'water test' - intend to change anyway if I take the off the pump. Any advice on this?

Don't think its the aircon pump. Tried to take photo as attached - the squeal seems to be coming from the pump marked with red arrows - it has connections to the water system. Just wondered what this is. Read somewhere this is a second water pump for 'extreme cold starts' and has some sort of magnetic pulley drive? Sounds a bit OTT - but intend to take off, examine and renew belt when weather a bit warmer [have to work outside :( ]

BTW if I have it correct right, the aircon I think is below - marked blue - and alternator yellow.

Thanks again for the help

lc4.jpg

Thanks Chaps.

Yes thought it may be the belt - but looks ok. Will try the 'water test' - intend to change anyway if I take the off the pump. Any advice on this?

Don't think its the aircon pump. Tried to take photo as attached - the squeal seems to be coming from the pump marked with red arrows - it has connections to the water system. Just wondered what this is. Read somewhere this is a second water pump for 'extreme cold starts' and has some sort of magnetic pulley drive? Sounds a bit OTT - but intend to take off, examine and renew belt when weather a bit warmer [have to work outside :( ]

BTW if I have it correct right, the aircon I think is below - marked blue - and alternator yellow.

Thanks again for the help

View attachment 113805

Sorry, I had it the wrong way round. You are correct. The red arrows show the Viscous Heater (part# 87120-35030). That should operate when you press the "PWR HEAT" button. The workshop manual shows adjustment of the clutch. If you DM me your email address I'll send you the instructions. I don't know if that would resolve any squealing though.

I had this squeay sound. Its the pulley (?) On the top right red arrow you have on there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks again both. Either a pulley or the heater then. Will take off the belt and examine and advise for others

M

Sorry, I had it the wrong way round. You are correct. The red arrows show the Viscous Heater (part# 87120-35030). That should operate when you press the "PWR HEAT" button. The workshop manual shows adjustment of the clutch. If you DM me your email address I'll send you the instructions. I don't know if that would resolve any squealing though.

Rob - thanks for the offer - yes would like, though for some reason I don't appear to be able to start a (DM) conversation on here. Maybe because I'm a newbie. Anyway if you could start I should be able to respond :)

If you have the power heat / idle-up switch on does it squeal then or when it's off. When off there should be no load on that pulley other than from the belt.
When off the inner part to the pulley should not spin as the clutch is disengaged.

I had my pump bearing start going on the 120. It growled when the pump was working.

You cannot change the bearing itself with a Mr-T part - it's a complete pump. (Around £1500 with fitting IIRC)
That's not to say you cannot take it apart and buy another bearing when you get the part number.

Back